US Coast Guard Rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in the Great Lakes we do have international ships traveling our waters. I display both the traditional red w/white stripe flag (state law) and the Alpha flag on my RIB. The boat is fifteen foot in leangth and is not equiped with the light system (no mast to run up the lights)and is not used for nighttime operations.

It took some time for me to get clarification from the USCG on the 1 meter requiement. I did not know if the alpha flag needed to be 1 meter in size (top to bottom) or what?

After some checking, it was explained to me the size of the flag should be in proportion to the size of the boat. Small flag, small boat.

The one meter came into effect in that the flag had to be displayed at least 1 meter above the mass of the boat. 1 meter above gunnell for open boat and 1 meter above cabin for cabin cruisers.

Note that the COLREGS have exemptions for a lot of situations, but a vessel undergoing dive operations is not one of those. The ALPHA flag and appropriate lights must be in use. That said, I've never seen it done.

The COLREGS and the Inland Rules do not require the use of the alpha flag. Rather, they require the use of day shapes (ball over diamond over ball) during the day and lights (red over white over red) at night. Only if the vessel is too small to properly display day shapes is the vessel required to display a one meter high rigid replica of the alpha flag as a substitute for the day shapes.

Small%20Enterprise.jpg

The above is a picture of a boat that does display the correct shapes - my boat, Enterprise.

Capt Dale - you are correct on the Alpha flag not being required if day shapes and appropriate lights are used. I was not as clear as I should have been in my response. My point is that I've never seen a boat with divers in New England display the appropraite signals (day shapes, lights, or Alpha Flag). When I've asked people they respond with various things such as
1. I've got the red/white flag - that's all that's needed in this state
2. My boat isn't big enough to require those - I'm exempt
3. Those signals aren't for recreational diving
4. What??

It took some time for me to get clarification from the USCG on the 1 meter requiement. I did not know if the alpha flag needed to be 1 meter in size (top to bottom) or what?

After some checking, it was explained to me the size of the flag should be in proportion to the size of the boat. Small flag, small boat.

The one meter came into effect in that the flag had to be displayed at least 1 meter above the mass of the boat. 1 meter above gunnell for open boat and 1 meter above cabin for cabin cruisers.

This is NOT CORRECT.

The 1 meter is the size of the Flag. It is not how high it is to be placed. This was covered in great detail, with me personally writing to the USCG for determination/clarification. I can forward the resultant email from the USCG Subject Matter Expert if you like.

Additionally, I have found that many states have different requirements. One thing mostly in common is that the Dive Flat (Red with White Stripe) is used for/by divers - whether or not they are diving from a boat. The "Alpha" Flag, when used, is used only by boats - and signifies that they (the boat) is limited in it's ability to maneuver.

I believe the Commander of the First Coast Guard District has issued a letter allowing the Captain of the vessel to determine his "ability to maneuver" and based on that determination he may or may not be required to fly the Alpha Flag.

In Colorado, the law states:

1. Every person in the water, outside a designated swimming area,
using an underwater breathing device often known as scuba gear,
shall display a diver's flag, having one diagonal white stripe on
a red background and capable of being identified at a distance of
not less than one hundred yards. Such flag shall be placed at or
near the point of submergence, and shall constitute a warning that
a diver is submerged and may be within a radius of one hundred
feet from such a flag
. Vessels shall keep a distance of one
hundred feet from the diver's flag.
Scuba divers shall keep a
distance of one hundred feet from dam outlet structures.
2. If a vessel is engaged in diving operations and as a consequence
is restricted in its ability to maneuver, a rigid replica of the
international code flag "A" or Alpha Flag shall be displayed.
The flag must be not less than one meter in height and the flag
must be blue and white in color.
3. The requirement that the Alpha Flag be displayed from a
vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver does not relieve the
requirement that the diver's flag also be displayed at or near the
point of submergence.

As long as the diver remains within 100 feet of the vessel, both flags could be flown from the vessel to meet the above requirements. Note also that all other vessels shall keep a distance of 100 feet from the flag.

In Utah the requirements are:

SL 18. Divers-Down Flag
A square, red flag with a white diagonal stripe from one top corner to the opposite bottom
corner is used to indicate the presence of a diver below. A rigid replica of the International
Code "A" (Alpha) flag, not less than one meter in height, may also be used.
The operator of any vessel shall not approach within 150 feet of a posted diver's flag,
unless the vessel is part of the equipment in use by the divers.
No person shall place a diver's flag on the waters of this state unless diving activity is in
progress in that area. A scuba diver shall display a diver's flag prior to diving activity and

shall dive and surface in close proximity to the flag.

In Utah, the Alpha Flag is not required, but may be used. The size of either Flag is not specified (but it is in Colorado). Also, in Utah, vessels may not approach within 150 feet of the Flag (vice Colorado's 100 feet). Also, in Utah, the diver shall dive and surface in close proximity to the flag (vice Colorado's 100 feet).

As shown above, different state's have different rules, so it would be prudent to check your state's boating laws.

So.........why are smaller than 1 meter flags made and it is nearly impossible to find a 1 meter tall alpha flag???

I have searched around and have not been able to find any myself.

I again inquired at another USCG station. All within the same district and have gotten the same answer.

A 25mm Red Flare across the bow helps make sure that the approaching boat/tug/ship pays attention. Calling on the radio and telling them the 2nd flare might go into the wheel house helps also.

Sorta like the quote " You can get further with a gun and a kind word, than just a kind word" Al Caponte

NAS PENSACOLA, Fla- Members of the Naval Air Station Pensacola Pollution Response unit set oil containment boom at Sherman Cove aboard the base to protect environmentally sensitive grass beds from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, Tuesday, May 4, 2010. Deepwater Horizon was an ultra-deepwater oil rig that sank April 22, causing a massive oil spill threatening the U.S. Gulf Coast. U.S. Navy photo by Patrick Nichols.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom