US Coast Guard Rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knotical

perpetual student
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
USCG Rules 27 b, d and e state:
27 (b) A vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver, except a vessel engaged in mineclearance operations, shall exhibit:
i. three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;
ii. three shapes in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these shapes shall be balls and the middle one a diamond.
iii. when making way through the water, [a masthead light or lights/ masthead lights], sidelights and a sternlight in addition to the lights prescribed in subparagraph (b)(i);
iv. when at anchor, in addition to the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (b)(i) and (b) (ii), the light, lights, or shapes prescribed in Rule 30.

27 (d) A vessel engaged in dredging or underwater operations, when restricted in her ability to maneuver, shall exhibit the lights and shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (b)(i),(ii) and (iii) of this Rule and shall in addition when an obstruction exists, exhibit:
i. two all-round red lights or two balls in a vertical line to indicate the side on which the obstruction exists;
ii. two all-round green lights or two diamonds in a vertical line to indicate the side on which another vessel may pass;
iii. when at anchor, the lights or shapes prescribed in this paragraph instead of the lights or shapes prescribed in Rule 30, for anchored vessels.

27 (e) Whenever the size of a vessel engaged in diving operations makes it impracticable to exhibit all lights and shapes prescribed in paragraph (d) of this Rule, the following shall be exhibited:
i. Three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;
ii. a rigid replica of the International Code flag "A" not less than 1 meter in height. Measures shall be taken to ensure its all-round visibility.
< from: Rule 27: Vessel Not Under Command >

I have terrific respect for the colregs, as will anyone who understands the sad maritime history that led to their adoption.

Note that the regs have expemptions for vessels depending on their size. Lights are to be shown at night, alternative lights are specified for small vessels. Another point to keep in mind is that a dive boat moored or anchored is obligated to display the anchor light/shape instead.

-Bryan

Its a shame that many small boats struggle to comply with the "rigid" requirement. There's no way I can on a 16ft RIB. I do have flags that are in the realm of common sense for the size of the boat.

the question of whether or not a dive boat with divers down is really restricted in its etcetera, merely moored/anchored, or keeping station.

Sure the dive boat isn't restricted like a dredge and could move, and the divers could be killed by the stand on vessel's hull or prop. Fatalities kinda defeat the point of rules. I refer you to Rule 2, which says "don't kill people even if you are entirely within the official rules when you do so" Rule 2: Responsibility

A boat with divers down, displaying proper markings, is considered a RAM vessel according to my captain's course instructor.

The rules governing distance from the flag apply to all vessels that have the ability to maneuver around the dive boat.

In Florida we would occasionally come across a fishing boat showing day shapes and would get in touch via marine radio to iron out any issues and make sure that everyone stayed safe.

It's really not the professional boats that have issues, it's when you get mixed up with weekenders that the problems start.

Rachel

The rules governing distance from the flag apply to all vessels that have the ability to maneuver around the dive boat.

You won't find any distances in COLREGS, just in state or local law(s).

Right, but the maneuverable vessel has to yield. A dive boat that is covering drifting divers is not subject to the 'boat approaching the starboard side, blah blah blah' type of regs.

R

A 25mm Red Flare across the bow helps make sure that the approaching boat/tug/ship pays attention. Calling on the radio and telling them the 2nd flare might go into the wheel house helps also.

A 25mm Red Flare across the bow helps make sure that the approaching boat/tug/ship pays attention. Calling on the radio and telling them the 2nd flare might go into the wheel house helps also.

Ahhhhh Jersey driving, love it

Note that the COLREGS have exemptions for a lot of situations, but a vessel undergoing dive operations is not one of those. The ALPHA flag and appropriate lights must be in use. That said, I've never seen it done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom