URGENT Update from ScubaMau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhonda,
Thanks for the update on Gabi. I'm so glad to hear he is in good spirits. We will keep him in our thoughts and will try and help as much as possible.

I'm so glad to know that Opal is alert. We will keep thinking positive thoughts .

Keep the updates coming! Tell everyone at ScubaMau we are thinking of them!

Amy & Don

Thanks to everyone who is keeping us all updated on Opal and Gabi's condition. all our thoughts are with them both.

Tom and Christina

Jen,

I pray for the recovery for Opal and Gabi!!!! I have never met Opal and only met Gabi once for a brief moment several years ago. In the Scuba world all divers are one family especially when you frequent an island as Cozumel.

I can only make a small contribution to Opal's and Gabi's medical expenses right now...but I hope the PayPal account stays open for many months to come for I would like to contribute on a monthly basis. I know medical expenses are a major concern right now but in the next several months Gabi is not going to bring in an income for his family so when I donate to MedicalCare4Gabi@gmail.com please feel free to use my monthly donations to give to Gabi's family to help keep the lights on, food on the table, and the necessary essentials for his children.
Thank you for all you are doing!!!!!

GodSpeed!!!!!!!

Vicki Schulte

Another update posted on Facebook by Rhonda Rosales just a bit ago:
They are releasing Gabi today or Sun and he will be starting physical therapy next week - today he says his legs are itching like a mother... thats what we want to hear :) and I hear he will be rolling around a dive shop soon and learning how to do e mails :) (oops he may not know about the email part yet - LOL) and he wanted me to thank everyone for their support!!!!

Source: Rally for Opal & Gabi & Heath's Recovery Scuba Mau

That's great news! I know about that itching. When I had a hip replacement in 2003, a major nerve was damaged and the itching nearly drove me crazy for the next year as it healed. It still acts up now and then but it's small price to pay.

Someone please pass the word to Gabi, push your therapy as much as possible. Work at it as hard as you can and you will recover faster and better. The best I had was in-pool therapy--the water takes the weight off your legs and you can work harder without hurting yourself.

I dunno. This is from Sally the Barefoot In Coz: I believe you have been misinformed, or perhaps you misunderstood. I visited Gabi this afternoon. While he does feel something like occasional electrical shocks in his legs while in the chamber, he remains without sensation below the ribs when he is not in the chamber. As far as being released today or tomorrow, no one mentioned it while I was there. In fact, he had plans for his wife and kids to spend the night in his room tonight. The nurses started a fresh IV this afternoon. They talked about getting him in a wheelchair for a spin around the halls on a daily basis. He may start water therapy next week, but releasing him was not mentioned. In fact, as she was leaving for the day, today's nurse said she would see him on Monday.

I was thinking that Gabi would be transferred to better medical care in Merida as soon as possible. :idk:

Update..........
Once again thought I should share :)) Posted by Joseph Patrick Matthews on sat evening on his wall <Talked today with my mother Opal is recovering more and more each day. Upon arrival to the hospital they found my sister had pneumonia. They have been hitting that with antibiotics and she is showing improvement in her breathing. Hopefully soon she will be off the ventilator but we were not given a specific time frame She is no longer heavily sedated and is aware of her surroundings and cognicent of when she is spoekn to. She has become quite adept at the human morse code of blinking. She is regaining feeling in one arm so far when she had it squeezed by a doctor she made the face of pain which in this case is a good thing. My sister is made of concrete. I am sorry I have not been more active in keeping this updated just very tired. Thank you for all the prayers and wishes it is showing everyday that it is helping>

I've sent money to both accounts.

My girlfriend and I both dove the "wall" off of Cozumel last February, through the hotel we were at, scubaquatic.com. Lucio Flores was our instructor.

I stuck close to the wall and close to the group, even so at one point in between corals I was past 90 feet, out of the current, while the others floated by. Amazing and touching story so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom