URGENT Update from ScubaMau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was posted yesterday by Zendive001 in the coz web site:

Posted Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Since others have covered the negative on this thread, I don't need to go there. Instead will choose to cover what may be the few positive notes.

Yes, Gabi is an amazing guy. The courage that it took to do what he did is mindboggling. Think about how cold and dark it is at those depths and... narced or not, consider also that he was too experienced to not be aware of his low air and the peril that entailed. Regardless, he went after her; and whatever happens, he's a hero in my book. Rant about the stupidity if you choose, this guy has a pair.

And experienced divers or not, a buddy breathing ascent by THREE from 300ft is a truly remarkable feat. With or without enough air.

Yes, stupidity got them into this situation, but it was skill and amazing nerves that got them to the surface.

It's not much, ok? But I'll give them that. Get well Opal, my heart is breaking.

Nauticab posted this response:

Posted Yesterday, 09:26 PM
gabi's wife came to the store yesterday and said that he will be discharged this week. the clinic will pick him up daily for his chamber rides (they just need to help pay for gas) and his physical therapy sessions are starting. she too has an amzing support system with family and friends connected in the right places to get them help.

she told me that he has started to get some feeling in his stomach area, little by little.
according to Tmack, opal's friend staying by her side in florida, her trach surgery scheduled for today has been postponed as her counts were not up to par yet.

keep your prayers going. and zendiver, you got it right. gabi has a pair.

Can anyone give a recent update on Opal and Gabi's conditions? I have been diving wiboth of them on many trips to Cozumel. They are such beautiful wonderful loving people. My heart aches.

Deleted cuz I am too slow....

Dam, you mean this two fingered typing, master of miss spelling is actually FASTER than someone else? Damn, never saw that one coming! :D

Dude, you posted THREE times before I could spit out my little bit. :worship:

Seems as if we have be out of the loop, but updates are not hard to find online. So this is the latest I found.

Opal update:
Posted by April, Opal's Mom on Saturday evening about 8pm.

<Today was a good day. no crashes. She was able to answer a few blink twice for yes and once for no questions. Her eyes are bright and clear once again and focusing isn't such a struggle now. Little victories, little victories soon will add-up to big victories. Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers. And the family is so greatful for all the consideration and the generosity of all her friend and buddies. Thank-you. From the bottom of our hearts...Thank-you > April Smith

This was posted yesterday by Zendive001 in the coz web site:

Posted Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Since others have covered the negative on this thread, I don't need to go there. Instead will choose to cover what may be the few positive notes.

Yes, Gabi is an amazing guy. The courage that it took to do what he did is mindboggling. Think about how cold and dark it is at those depths and... narced or not, consider also that he was too experienced to not be aware of his low air and the peril that entailed. Regardless, he went after her; and whatever happens, he's a hero in my book. Rant about the stupidity if you choose, this guy has a pair.

And experienced divers or not, a buddy breathing ascent by THREE from 300ft is a truly remarkable feat. With or without enough air.

Yes, stupidity got them into this situation, but it was skill and amazing nerves that got them to the surface.

It's not much, ok? But I'll give them that. Get well Opal, my heart is breaking.

My sentiments exactly.

There are now way over 100 pages from all the threads and much blathering going on. Regardless, Gabi has one giant pair and if not for his bravery, skill and presence of mind there would be at least one fatality and maybe more. for Heath to have also kept his wits and buddy breathed from over 300' is also a testament to skill level.

I'm not so sure about everyone going back in after surfacing but we weren't there and we were not in that life threatening situation.

Get well Gabi, Opal and Heath!

Reactions: Jax
for those not following the facebook page this was posted this morning: Sounds like some good news for a change :)

Rally for Opal & Gabi & Heath's Recovery Scuba Mau:
YEAH!!! SURGERY TODAY ;-) she is more alert today, excess fluid is finally coming out...and she is looking more like her today....so lets see what happens when we get that nasty tube out of her mouth!! It has been in over 3 weeks and that is usually never happens!!!!

Thanks for the update Kixy1. That's great news.. Praying all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom