Urgent Review Required Dc500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick:
I also put a 1 gig card Sandisk and have had no problems with freeze up. It also has manual white balance. It is very easy to maintain also and the help I have gotten from Sealife has been great. I know the battery life is an issue but I bought a second battery for $14.00 with shipping. I took 87 pictures on a 1+ hour dive and never shut it off. I kept the display on at all times. I know Sealife said they are working on a new battery as we speak. I got my whole setup for $617.00 and at this time as a novice I wouldn't change it. It's sometime hard to remember that you are diving to dive and taking pictures is a pleasant side effect.

After tallying all the research I've done (internet, user stories, spec sheets, personal experiences with several cameras), I would recommend you do not get the Sealife. It appears that its failure rate is about 30-50%, and Canon/Nikon/Olympus have better optics and user-interfaces.
For less money you can get a better Canon, Olympus, etc, & house it. Just an opinion, but so far the reported surprise failure rate of properly housed Canons in the field is around 0%....

As posted in another thread
I've owned one for about a year (close anyway) and have taken close to 1000 shots with it. here are my pros and cons
Pros
small in size making it easy to handle, about the size of two packs of cigarettes together. It will fit in most BCD pockets.
the fish mod auto adjusts color saving a lot of auto correct time.
@ 5.1 mega pixel it akes some good shots, but like any camera it depends on you. But put a 500 meg card in it and you can snap shops like a mad man and delete the uglys.

Cons
Battery life, 1 hour tops. So buy a second battery and swap beteween dives.
You must update firmware or it will lock up on you.
Color, the black case means, Davy Jones gets it if you lose it in poor visiblity or rough seas.

In conclusion, I would buy it again if I had it to do over.

Yes, I like my Sealife, want a DSLR(Canon 20d), but I like the pics I get and I think it
captures video clips better than comparably prices cameras.

Yup external charger comes with it, I also bought a travel charger that does not need the camera to recharge the battery for it. Uses the same cord though. I really like the small size of the whole unit. I figure with the accessories I have I still don't have $700 invested in it. Since the photo gallery is still down I haven't figured out how to post pix eaisly. Not a 'puter guru (which is why I like the DC) so I can't really show you a ton of pix. Try going to this site on kodakgallery.com http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=65203554108.433779990108.1153874262420&page=1
I don't know if it will work for you. But its worth a try. LOL the shot is 35' deep at about 2' away from fishy boy.

I just bought an extra battery from Leisure Pro and saw the travel charger on their site also. Do a search for SeaLife and then browse the results. For some reason, you get slightly different resutlts when you seach for SeaLife than when you search for DC500, so I would try both.

If you could swing it, I would definitely recommend the elite set over the pro set. If you get the elite set you get the digital strobe instead of the yellow one. The digital one gives you control of the flash output which helps you not to 'burn' as many subjects. The wide angle lens is compatable with the dc500 but the 3x,8x, and 16x lenses are not. I tried it since I had purchased them with the predecessor the dc310 but got a weird flash back ring in many of my pictures. In terms of the battery, I can consistently get about 1 hr 45 min on a charge. They say that it is important to completely charge and completely drain your battery the first time you use it.
I bought my elite set from leisure pro and didn't have the greatest experience. I got a unit with the old firmware and the extra battery charger did not fit the spare battery. I had to argue with them for about 10 minutes until they finally just told me to call SeaLife directly. The customer service dept at SeaLife was great. They sent me one of the new chargers and explained that the supplier had distributed the wrong ones and that a recall had been sent out (but I guess my salesman at LP didn't get that info) Anyway, just make sure that your firmware is upgraded to the PIE5 version. You can find that info on the Sealife website.
Just FYI, if you do ever flood, save your disk. Between the 5 members of our dive group, we have managed to flood several cameras. As soon as possible rinse off and dry your sd or xd card and you should be able to access your pictures. We flooded a 5060 with a compact flash and the card was extremely finnicky but we finally got the photos to copy. I bought new cards to use in my cameras but at least the pictures were not lost.
Good luck and enjoy your dc500!!

Sorry this took so long but I did not have the time to this earlier. The pictures of my second dive with the DSC are now up.
http://www.de-ridder.info/album/main.php?g2_itemId=3568
The album is organised latest picture first and the firts picture is IMG_0075. A crab taken wihout the external Flash

Now most of the shots are of an affectionate tompot blennie.... I nearly felt harrassed by it But colourwise it was a nice test for the camera. Picture IMG_0096 is also done in scubamode.

Now I failed 6 pictures due to the flash not firing....
Vis at the time of the dive was 1.5 - 2 meters maximum and dislocating the flashlead might have had something to do with that. I also failed 3 scubamode flashes due to myself switching flashsettings (I did not know they were there and started to experiment.... RTFM :wink:

Now after the 3 dives with my newly qualified wife last week I changed the moisture muncher...... It was blue...its still as blue as it was after 53 minutes at 19 meter.
(I did not take much pics then to having her taking up all my attention)

Now I'm not a pro photographer, and I am well pleased....
I'm more then open to tips and advise...
But on criticism without advice I'm change the famous bart simpson quote a little:
"Eat my Shorty"

IMG_0089.JPG

He's a cutie!

The only thing I would nit pick is that he is a tad soft in focus on the eyes. Looks like maybe you were just a wee bit too close to him. That's the number one problem I see with people and new systems - it just takes a bit of time to figure out where that darn minimum focus distance is! Rock back just a bit - looks like you have plenty of light to still get a great exposure and hopefully his eyes will be so sharp they will jump out of the shot!

The blenny is very cute and definitely a keeper :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom