URGENT! Need Info on Channel Is. Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i second (third?) the vote for the Peace in Ventura and the Truth Aquatics boats in Santa Barbara

Also,

In doing some research, looks like san clemente island is a fantastic site. Are there day trip charters there or is this a multi-day trip?

Also, any special recommendations for the late-June time frame?

Finally, what about oil rig dives? What are they like?

Guy

The PEACE is booked for a three day trip, Fri-Sun, that weekend -- and I will be on it!!!! Sorry you won't be able to enjoy that boat -- but I'm sure you'll be able to find a boat or two which will provide you with great diving and a wonderful time.

One note -- the Spectre puts "Giant" into the "Giant Stride."

My dates look to be June 25-27.

I have looked on that great calendar link from ANDYSCUBA on the second post. Looks like the boats that fit the schedule are:

June 25: The Magician to Catalina
June 26: The Spectre to Anacapa/Santa Cruz

I wanted to do something either Friday the 24th or Monday the 27th but it looks like no boats are going on those days. Are there open boats that I could just get a space on? I'm not sure how the system works.

I am calling the operators today to confirm these trips are actually going.

Anyone interested in joining me, please let me know!

Guy

The Magician is a decent boat, but they are almost a private charter to Sport Chalet which is a local chain sporting goods store. So, if it were a Sport Chalet trip (and their website will show that), then: a) you have to pay more because Sport Chalet charges a markup for their own profit, and b) chances are you get to go to a nice student friendly sandy dive site. If that day is a Magician open boat day, then you should be in for some good diving. The Magician has Nitrox which is really nice, especially when you're planning on two dive days weekend.

The Spectre is a good boat. I've been on that boat several dozen times and it never disappoints. Granted that the destination tends to be Anacapa Island, but then most 1-day trip from Ventura seem to end up around Anacapa anyway. Anacapa has some gorgeous dive sites, but some of them are pretty shallow (30-ft ish).

Also on 25th June, the Great Escape boat down in San Pedro (close to the Magician area) is making a run to Santa Barbara Island via Reefseeker dive charter. Santa Barbara Island is small and out in the middle of nowhere and the water tends to be rougher, but with somebody your experience, I can't see an issue. Not to mention that there ain't gonna be newbies or classes to be conducted at Santa Barbara Island unless it's some sort of advanced diving classes, so the divers should be well experienced.

Great Escape Southern California Scuba Dive Boat Calendar

The Magician is a decent boat, but they are almost a private charter to Sport Chalet which is a local chain sporting goods store. So, if it were a Sport Chalet trip (and their website will show that), then: a) you have to pay more because Sport Chalet charges a markup for their own profit, and b) chances are you get to go to a nice student friendly sandy dive site. If that day is a Magician open boat day, then you should be in for some good diving. The Magician has Nitrox which is really nice, especially when you're planning on two dive days weekend.

The Spectre is a good boat. I've been on that boat several dozen times and it never disappoints. Granted that the destination tends to be Anacapa Island, but then most 1-day trip from Ventura seem to end up around Anacapa anyway. Anacapa has some gorgeous dive sites, but some of them are pretty shallow (30-ft ish).

Also on 25th June, the Great Escape boat down in San Pedro (close to the Magician area) is making a run to Santa Barbara Island via Reefseeker dive charter. Santa Barbara Island is small and out in the middle of nowhere and the water tends to be rougher, but with somebody your experience, I can't see an issue. Not to mention that there ain't gonna be newbies or classes to be conducted at Santa Barbara Island unless it's some sort of advanced diving classes, so the divers should be well experienced.

Great Escape Southern California Scuba Dive Boat Calendar

I would add the Spectre often has 4 dive days, which is an incredible value. They will also supply tanks and weights for a reasonable fee which makes the logistics easier on the traveler (or even a full set of gear).

The Great Escape has the best food and some private cabins. So even of you book 2 single dive days back to back you have nice little room (if you reserve it) rather than a bunk for the night before and between days. They don't supply tanks and weights normally, but if you ask nice they have been known to help out the traveler.

Friday, June 24th the Magician is an open boat. Actually every Wednesday & Friday are open boat.
I will second that the Magician is a decent boat. Good crew, comfortable bunks, okay food, great captain who picks good dive spots.

Friday, June 24th the Magician is an open boat. Actually every Wednesday & Friday are open boat.
I will second that the Magician is a decent boat. Good crew, comfortable bunks, okay food, great captain who picks good dive spots.

I have been on the Magician where they sit for 2 dives in a nice shallow, sandy spot for the Sports Chalet classes. Its not that it is a bad boat (actually nicely maintained), but locations are influenced by the chartering organization, so open boats may be OK, but once you gets the Sports Chalet running the show, its not so nice.

You'll get back to San Pedro on the Magician probably at 5 or 6 and then have to head out to Ventura that night and sleep on the boat. It is a long drive from LA to Ventura and even longer after a full day of diving. I wouldn't do it. A lot easier trip would be to get on the Catalina Express the next morning and dive the dive park. If you need a buddy, you could check with the 3 local dive shops on the island to see if you can hire a guide.

If you can't find a boat that is operating on Friday or Monday (the Express will be), check to see if Laguna Sea Sports still gives guided tours of Shaw's Cove. It isn't Channel Island diving, but it can be an interesting dive.

I have to put in a plug for the Spectre. I was down in SoCal in late January, and we had very difficult conditions -- a very large, long period swell that made the boat trip easy but created HUGE surge along the coasts, and a ripping current running parallel with Anacapa. It was really hard to find dive sites to put us on, and the captain worked REALLY hard at it, including motoring over to Santa Cruz to see if there was anything better over there. In the end, despite all the delays of searching, we still got four dives in, and the last one on the sea lion rookery. It made the captain's job much harder, getting us home, because of having to do the entry into the harbor in the dark. I thought they tried as hard as they possibly could to ensure we had a good day.

The giant stride off the Spectre always has my heart in my throat, though :)

I would add the Spectre often has 4 dive days, which is an incredible value. They will also supply tanks and weights for a reasonable fee which makes the logistics easier on the traveler (or even a full set of gear).

The Great Escape has the best food and some private cabins. So even of you book 2 single dive days back to back you have nice little room (if you reserve it) rather than a bunk for the night before and between days. They don't supply tanks and weights normally, but if you ask nice they have been known to help out the traveler.

The Great Escape is one of my favorite boats and probably the boat I use most. They have good food, but most divers will agree that the BEST food is on the Peace. And the GE staterooms are nicer than bunks, quieter, no distractions from others moving around, big enough (barely) to change into your wet or dry suit, but they are not private they are semi-private with one double bunk above another, but even sharing with someone else you are at least assured of a double bunk and better accomodations, I definitely sleep better in a stateroom than a bunk.

Too bad the multi-day Peace trip is closed, that would have been a good option.
If you could make the 24-26 I'd look into the Conception trip, if not then maybe back to back single day trips (24 & 25) on the Vision may work out well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom