URGENT! Need Info on Channel Is. Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

There is a great travel deal going on for Miami to Los Angeles flights through June, but I need to book flights this weekend.i

I am an experienced Florida diver that has always wanted to dive California and I plan to take advantage.

I need suggestions for excellent operators for the Channel Islands, either in Sta. Barbara or Los Angeles areas. I would like at least 2 days of diving.

PLEASE let me know asap as this deal expires this weekend and I need to arrange something this weekend.

My stats: experienced diver (350+) including advanced deco dives on air. Recently nitrox certified. Will try to have formal DIR training (GUE Fundies) by June but maybe not. I do have a DIR gear setup as I really like the arrangement.

I am mainly a Florida diver, but do dive in the winter when water temps can go as low as 62F. I would need to rent a 7mil suit. I am unfamiliar with the California environment. I would like a guide or a reliable way to find an experienced buddy.

If any SoCal divers can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Guy

Welcome Guy,
Alot of information here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/231885-updated-great-catalina-island-info-sticky-thread.html
Here is a great source for charters in California: California Dive Boats : The Official Page
You will have no problem getting in two days of diving year round. Yes, our waters are nice and cool and a 7 mil is highly recomended if you want to do more than one dive/day. We call 62*f warm here:D ..... year round in the areas you mentioned is between 50* to 67* ...depending on time of year and which dive spot. Each island and mainland spot has it's highlights.
Let us know when you plan your trip!

I would start here Great Catalina Sticky

If you can dive the weekend you'll have a lot of options. Also, post here when you have your dates because there are a number of divers here who would dive with you if they can.

hey guy something to consider is CIDA (channelislandsdiveadventures.com run by Ken Kollwitz) He puts on some pretty unique trips!

Just charter a 2-days trip through the weekend with the Peace boat out of Ventura, California. These weekend trips tend to be patronized by experienced divers, so you shouldn't have a problem with finding a decent buddy.

Peace Dive Boat

As someone who flies into SoCal and dives . . . I also recommend the Peace. It's an incredible boat with a fantastic crew. And SoCal is an amazing place. The last time I was down there, I picked up a true, honest-to-God instabuddy on a boat -- who was a Fundies grad :)

peace out of ventura is great; so is truth aquatics out of santa barbara if you get up to santa barbara. while others hold different opinions i can't recommend spectre out of ventura.

My dates look to be June 25-27.

I have looked on that great calendar link from ANDYSCUBA on the second post. Looks like the boats that fit the schedule are:

June 25: The Magician to Catalina
June 26: The Spectre to Anacapa/Santa Cruz

I wanted to do something either Friday the 24th or Monday the 27th but it looks like no boats are going on those days. Are there open boats that I could just get a space on? I'm not sure how the system works.

I am calling the operators today to confirm these trips are actually going.

Anyone interested in joining me, please let me know!

Guy

To the person who did not like his experience on the Spectre, can you pm me with why?

My dates look to be June 25-27.

I have looked on that great calendar link from ANDYSCUBA on the second post. Looks like the boats that fit the schedule are:

June 25: The Magician to Catalina
June 26: The Spectre to Anacapa/Santa Cruz

I wanted to do something either Friday the 24th or Monday the 27th but it looks like no boats are going on those days. Are there open boats that I could just get a space on? I'm not sure how the system works.

I am calling the operators today to confirm these trips are actually going.

Anyone interested in joining me, please let me know!

Guy

To the person who did not like his experience on the Spectre, can you pm me with why?

Call Sundiver. Their Express might go out. And perhaps you could even ask to put oil rigs boat together.

Back
Top Bottom