Urchin Diving - Northern CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor808

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
New member here, and I struggled with whether this should be posted in the regional forum or the Freediving forum, I settled on here. Please let me know if I should have done otherwise.

I'm trying to figure out whether anyone organizes excursions for sea urchins in the Bay Area. I realized google had failed me about 5 pages into my search, so I figured I'd check if anyone in this forum had heard of anything.

I suppose I could just rent a kayak/thick wet suit and any other tools I might need and go paddling around, but I suspect I won't find anything doing that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Victor

Sea urchins are legal to take in California with a sport fishing license. The season is open year-round for all species of urchin. The limit is 35 urchins per day/in possession and there is no size limit (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 29.05). Sea urchins can be taken only on hook and line or with the hands (CCR Title 14, section 29.10). These regulations can be found in the Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations booklet, along with the marine protected areas in California that are closed to the take of sea urchins.

The last time I was at Stillwater Cove in Sonoma County (August 2016), there were sooooooo many urchins. That would be a great place to go. You'll have to check if it's a marine protected area. I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom