Urchin dive - Nov. 13th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is huge potential for urchins as fertilizer.

Here are some results of urchin fertiliser research in my region, very promising.

UrchinFertiliserReserach.jpg

In my area a commercial fishery has started up under a subsidy for the urchin roe (uni), they take about 500-600t (~1.3 million urchins per year), but with a biomass of 20 million urchins, the commercial harvest just might be keeping up with annual recruitment.

Culling has been trialed found to be effective however needs to thorough, and sustained effort. Fortunately, there is no restrictions on recreational take of urchins in my region so we smash away and leave them.

I thought of maybe using a mini hand held gardening rake.

I have seen the commercial urchin divers out of Noyo Harbor using them, usually with a lanyard around their wrist.

1668355880552.png

They are sold as "hand-held garden cultivators" or just "garden cultivators".

Urchin dive update.
It’s happening.
So if you want to take part we will be at Stillwater Cove Regional Park in Sonoma county California.
9:00 AM tomorrow morning, Sunday.
Looks like there will be five of us in total.
I’ll post up a report and photos.
Cheers!
Hope you are not too tired to tell us how it went today!

Good work today. Come the new year, my wife and I will have our fishing licenses and join in the fun.

Attachments

• 4CFBD3D4-E0D4-4908-BCC7-F96BF3F307EB.jpeg
    4CFBD3D4-E0D4-4908-BCC7-F96BF3F307EB.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 10ABE939-A0A3-4E30-94BF-BF1368DCD61B.jpeg
    10ABE939-A0A3-4E30-94BF-BF1368DCD61B.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 63
Yeah, it was a beautiful sunny day out on the coast!
We collected two full limits of purple urchins.
I did two dives and stuffed a big green bag so full I could hardly close it on both dives which yielded almost a limit.
The ocean was a little sporty today and surf was maybe knee and sometimes thigh slappers instead of ankle slappers which is more default for Stillwater. But the water clarity was excellent! A little surgy right off the beach but that’s where the work needed to be done.
We had 20’ vis in the shallows which is great and outside I’ll bet it was closer to 30’. That’s fantastic for Northern California!
Water was probably 48-50 degrees. I didn’t have a computer on to tell me but the initial “sting” on my face told me it was about that.
These urchins have a lot of roe!
It’s plump and sweet.
I gave a whole bunch away to my neighbor who has co-workers that eat the stuff like candy.

A huge thank you to everyone who showed up!
I hope to make all of you regulars, and together we can make a huge difference!
Keep on getting your urchin removal gear everyone and we’ll see you next time!
Some pics of the day.
5868CB02-BF88-40AB-B132-59529D724CB0.jpeg

D7E59FBF-E192-487B-B484-37B03F024B7D.jpeg
4CEF4A6D-CA5A-4C3D-8921-A22D5276E4B3.jpeg
5538EF27-8054-4D48-9494-480E055211E5.jpeg

Hi Eric. Do you have any idea when your next planned urchin dive is? I'd love to participate in this. I would need to rent tanks but I have the rest of the equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom