• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Urchin cull approved for Monterey reef

Discussion in 'NorCal' started by wnissen, Dec 16, 2020.

1. napDiver

napDiver ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    @Raphus i agree. It's ironic. We have done so much that rapidly changes the ecosystem and destroy them. Yet now, it's almost a requirement for us to intervene and play god to maintain/grow these ecosystems. Hopefully we will succeed and not make it worst.

Sighing up!

wnissen and Raphus like this.
  2. Akimbo

Akimbo Just a diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Why not just break them open so the fish can eat their roe and guts?

3. Raphus

Raphus DIR Practitioner

This will probably increase the fish population, that eats them. Which might be the next target of a cull.

4. wnissen

wnissen ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Yep, I certainly worry the most about doing things that seem like they're helpful. I was cheered to see that they did experiments in limited areas first that indicated that the ecosystem wouldn't be made worse, so it seems like that possibility is being considered.

5. lostsheep

lostsheep Solo Diver

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I didn’t realize we had determined what caused the starfish die-off that allowed our urchin population to explode.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  6. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If you clean out an area you need to make sure that you REALLY clean it out completely or all you’re doing is eliminating some competition for other purple urchins and the numbers will just explode again. Either wipe out all of them in a given area or leave them alone and they will starve themselves out once all the food is gone.
    And if an area is completely cleaned out it needs to be maintained constantly and kept clean while the kelp is developing or else you just wasted all your time. Urchins will move around a lot in search of food. We thought of trying to come up with some sort of stainless underwater fencing to keep them out of a cleared area. In a certain cove in Norcal there are these big rocks about the size of pick up trucks that are surrounded by sand. There is normally a lot of kelp growing of those rocks and each rock used to have a healthy population of abalone. Since the urchin explosion all there is are purple urchins and nothing else.
    We were going to propose an idea to eliminate each and every urchin on those rocks then surround the rock with some sort of barrier so the urchins physically can’t get past the barrier to get back in. I proposed a fence similar to hog fencing but with smaller holes and made out of stainless. This way the kelp could return and a population of abalone could be returned and a small “farm” could be created.

Perhaps a good fertilizer can be made from urchins in some sort of giant blender or crusher that can purée them?

7. MichaelMc

MichaelMc Working toward Cenotes ScubaBoard Supporter

Can the fence have active defenses, caped bungee defenders, and a video feed?

Warning: PG video. Some defenders get eaten, but not her. She becomes their General.

Eric Sedletzky likes this.
  8. BoundForElsewhere

BoundForElsewhere Waiting for the zombies ScubaBoard Supporter

ok that was freaking awesome. thank you.

9. Eric Sedletzky

Eric Sedletzky Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    That WAS awesome.
    I’m going to hire and train a whole cadre of sheepshead to patrol the rocks!

drrich2 likes this.
  10. wnissen

wnissen ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I don't think a single one of those defenders was using approved scientific culling hammer. Very disappointing! Otherwise that is exactly how I picture it.