UPS Scam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I received the attached email, it was from UPS.com but referenced the post office and the tracking number was not in the UPS 1Z************* tracking number format. UPS leaves a sticker on your door if they can't deliver. I didn't open the attached zip file. If anyone did open the zip(mailing label) file, what happened?

Attachments

• UPS.jpg
    UPS.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 80
I won a trillion dollars by opening the file. I have not received the email and would do the same as you.....not open it.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/ups-malware.shtml

Looks like a Malware installer if it is the same as before....

I received the attached email, it was from UPS.com but referenced the post office and the tracking number was not in the UPS 1Z************* tracking number format. UPS leaves a sticker on your door if they can't deliver. I didn't open the attached zip file. If anyone did open the zip(mailing label) file, what happened?

I got one of these a while back and was pretty sure it was a scam as well. I decided to take a look at the link anyway and my anti-virus came up saying that the page was a reported virus/scam/attack page and blocked me from opening it.

If UPS emails you, it will come from ups.com. They don't use many other ending trails.

another way to find out if a link is valid is to hover over it. For example if you get an email from "Bank of America" saying that they need you to contact them about your account using xx link, hover over the link. More often than not, the link will say something like "yousuckerwegotyourinfonow@youjustgothacked.com"

most people simply think "OMG! I'm deficient!" and follow the link.

The one time I almost clicked was when UPS sent me a shipping notification for a $3500 Plasma TV. I called my husband and said, "Um...is there something you need to tell me about?" He said, "No, why??" I replied, "I just recieved a notification that we have a very expensive television being shipped to our house."

He was laughing at me. Why? Because why would he have the shipping notification sent to MY email if he bought a very expensive television?? (We were also at the stage in life where eating gourmet meant Ramen Noodles with Eggs for me or with Pepper for him!!)

It is possible (or so I read somewhere) to fake the HTTP address in these emails so I would even use that advice very carefully. Check it but also think about it. If it does not feel right, call the institution (not a number on the email) and ask. Even a quick internet search will often tell you if there is a current or past scam......but a call to a number off their website or phone book will let you know if you are being scammed.

If UPS emails you, it will come from ups.com. They don't use many other ending trails.

another way to find out if a link is valid is to hover over it. For example if you get an email from "Bank of America" saying that they need you to contact them about your account using xx link, hover over the link. More often than not, the link will say something like "yousuckerwegotyourinfonow@youjustgothacked.com"

most people simply think "OMG! I'm deficient!" and follow the link.

The one time I almost clicked was when UPS sent me a shipping notification for a $3500 Plasma TV. I called my husband and said, "Um...is there something you need to tell me about?" He said, "No, why??" I replied, "I just recieved a notification that we have a very expensive television being shipped to our house."

He was laughing at me. Why? Because why would he have the shipping notification sent to MY email if he bought a very expensive television?? (We were also at the stage in life where eating gourmet meant Ramen Noodles with Eggs for me or with Pepper for him!!)

Use Firefox with the following plug-ins.

NoScript - Gives you site by site enable/disable of JavaScript. Kind of annoying at first but once you get used to it, you are a lot safer if you accidentally click a link. You may be surprised to see all of the off site scripts being run by most sites. Probably the best thing you can add.

Adblock Plus - Blocks not only ads but knows virus locations as well. You can even right click on a specific image and block it, for example if someone has a real annoying animated gif as an avatar. Stops your browser from even asking for the code in the first place. (You can enable ads on sites you want to support)

Flashblock - Replaces all embedded flash objects with a play button. The flash wont run till you decide you want it to.

BetterPrivacy - Removes LSO objects. A really sneaky kind of cookie from flash objects, used to track you cross sites and most browsers don't manage them.

Close n forget - Gives you a way to close a particular site, erase all its cookies (except LSO, see above,) clears it's cache and history. Useful if you "accidentally" visit a site where the people have less clothing that your typical scuba page :eyebrow:, or if you hit a site that you do not want to retain the cookies for.

These wont keep you safe from everything but they will give you some tools to control your web diving.

Back
Top Bottom