Uploaded 85 images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yachtsbroker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just joined the other day and was warmly greeted-thank you! As I mentioned in my opening, I would be uploading some of my images once I learned how. It was easy-thank goodness. Before I was even finished, I had several viewings and a few compliments-"thank you" to those that took the time to view and comment. Regards,Wayne :eek:uttahere

Wow, some awesome pics.........very sharp indeed.

Fantastic Photos Wayne! I love your titles too :wink:

justleesa:
Fantastic Photos Wayne! I love your titles too :wink:
Me Too!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Your comments are all very kind and I must say,"appreciated". Even though I enjoy u/w photography for myself, it brings me pleasure to know that occasionally you might put a little smile on someone else's face.

yachtsbroker:
Your comments are all very kind and I must say,"appreciated". Even though I enjoy u/w photography for myself, it brings me pleasure to know that occasionally you might put a little smile on someone else's face.

Big smile on mine! :D

I love the way you look at underwater subjects artistically, rather than as simple documentation. So many u/w photographers forget that. :god:

My favorite shot is the closeup of the cuttlefish eye. The colors and detail are spectacular.

Some of your shots (esp the cuttlefish on the reef, with the sun star) look like you cranked the strobes up to high power and stopped down and used a fast shutter speed - is this correct? I'm wondering how you get the effect of the cuttlefish lit and the rest of the scene fairly dark.

Also, I notice you have some very vivid blues - do you use a black light by any chance, or an infrared effect? Very lovely, however you achieve it.

I'm shooting video right now, but when I see shots like yours, which would look soooo nice on my office wall, I ache to get a housing and strobes for my dSLR!

Welcome the forum!
Taxgeek

OK, I'm going to be a pain here :)

First - Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Second - can you please insert a link to your images/gallery? Some of the skins available here do not support the automatic link to a user's gallery, so including a quick link in your post is really appreciated!

I look forward to seeing these and more!

Alcina, I will gladly do per your request if I knew how. I just thought anyone could just hit VIEW GALLERY and it would take them there. If not maybe you could direct me as to how to do what you ask. Thanks.

Taxgeek-Pursuant to the blue. If the water isn't nice and clear blue I try to minimize it in the photo if I am doing w/a. If really bad, I just enjoy macro as my choice. I use Fuji Velvia50-100 Provia100-400 which also helps. If the image is a beautiful cobalt blue then it was probably shallow and crystal clear-great time for silhouettes.
As far as the cuttle/sunburst you are correct in your evaluation. I metered the sun off to the side-the closer to the intense sunball the darker the water will be. I wanted the cuttle to stand alone and not blend in to the reef-very common, I know because I have several of those shots.
I find in this situation it is easiest to pick an fstop/strobe setting and leave it there and bracket with the shutter speed. That way, I know the distance to the subject isn't changing so my strobe output should be correct(proper exposure on cuttle and not to powerful to expose reef behind it based on GN of strobe), if I judge distance correctly. Now when I bracket with the s/s only the size/intensity of the sunball/sunrays changes since s/s doesn't effect the strobe output. Also of course angle of strobes is important so that you use the outer edge of the beam angles to eliminate bscatter and only illuminate just what you want.
Lastly, your interpretation of what I try to see in my subjects is correct. If possible, I try to make the image create an emotion for me and not always look like I captured the image for a photo ID book, I have plenty of those too. Thank you again for your kind words. Remaining,Wayne

Wayne -

Sorry! I should have told you in the first post...my excuse is I got nailed with a flu bug yesterday and I feel like I've been hit by a truck :wink:

To post a link - go to the page you want to link to...in this case your gallery. Highlight the url in the address bar and copy. Then make a message here and click the little world/globe icon - it should bring up a box where you can paste the url. Click OK and the link should be good to go.

you can also type [*url]address here[*/url] (without the *) and that should work too - www.OceansByAnderson.com <- like that :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom