Upgrading From "Entry Level" Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Scuba Pro Mk25/S600/R390 and an Apeks Atx40 Combo. Both breath well, but the Scuba Pro is the smoother if the two. My opinion would be to get the Mk16 first stage and a G250 second and use your existing R390 for your octo. Or if you want something all together new I will second the recomendation on the Atomic regs. However, I would look at their "entry level" Z1 since it really not entry level. It has the same performance characteristics as their other models but with out a swivel on the first stage and brass and chrome instead of the more exotic metals. Oh yeah it its cheaper. When I looked for regs the Z1 with an environmentally sealed first stage had a MSRP of $399. I just kick myself for not buying it.

There's cold water and then there's cold water. I have a couple sets of ScubaPro MK20/G250 regulators that I'll match against anything for easy breathing but I don't take them with me in colder than 45F water due to the repeated free-flow problems I've had - 50F if I'm going deep. Although I have had an Apeks freeze up on me, I mostly use ATX100's or DS4/TX50's when it really matters.

I have never had a problem with a MK 20 or 25 in water down to 34 degrees and depths to 150 ft, but I also use low pressure 2400 psi tanks and I think that makes a difference.
I agree. Unfortunately, my lust for bottom time usually means my tanks have at least 3000 psi in them, often...more. :11:

Back
Top Bottom