Upgrading From "Entry Level" Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

verona

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I seem to be at the stage of upgrading some of my equipment from the stuff I bought when I was just starting out. For example, I got some new fins for warmwater as my entry level Tusa liberators had seen better days, I got a second BC to cope with cold water diving at home as the one I started with was for tropical waters, moved from a basic mask to a Visualator, upgraded from a bottom timer to a computer and so on. Sure lots of you can associate with this.

Anyhow, I am thinking about my regs and whether I should be looking to upgrade. I have Scubapro Mk 2 with R390 primary, which is described as entry level. When I got this reg, I was doing warmwater shallow diving. Now I am doing cold water diving, too, and deeper diving. Current reg. is ok but as I dive more and expand my horizons more, I want to have regs that have the best performance.

Anyone suggest a natural next level up set of regs which would fit the bill for cold water (in the UK all year round), as well as warmwater and depths to 40m?

Thanks

I would say stick with the brand that you have if you have had a good experience with it. Some people complain about scubapro regs free flowing in colder waters. Clearly this is not something that you want happening as you go deeper. But if you have never experienced this and are comfortable with your SP regs I would recommend an S600 with a Mk25first stage.
If you want something that will tolerate the cold a little better, I would recommend your home grown apeks. I dive apeks an enjoy them. Had them under the ice and no problems. Perhaps an ATX50.

I have both the MK20/G250 and MK25/S600 regs, and I think that S-Pro's are the smoothest breathing regs around.

BUT, I dive in Southern California where the water temp generally ranges between 52 ~ 69 degrees Fahrenheit (11 ~ 20 degrees Celcius). If I were to regularly dive in colder water, I'd probably choose a different regulator.

Updates have been made to the MK25 to cope with colder temperatures better... the MK25 can probably handle cold salt water diving (with a few precautions), but there are other regulators better suited for this job. The ATX-200 by Apeks is popular.

rescuediver009:
I would say stick with the brand that you have if you have had a good experience with it. Some people complain about scubapro regs free flowing in colder waters. Clearly this is not something that you want happening as you go deeper. But if you have never experienced this and are comfortable with your SP regs I would recommend an S600 with a Mk25first stage.
If you want something that will tolerate the cold a little better, I would recommend your home grown apeks. I dive apeks an enjoy them. Had them under the ice and no problems. Perhaps an ATX50.

No flame intended here, but, I have a friend that has a new SP MK25 S600. It has free flowed on him at 100' in 43 degree F water twice in the past 3 weeks. After the first time, he took it in for the LDS to look at it and it was adjusted. It just happened again to him this past weekend. Based on his experience and the hundreds of posts about the SPs, they are an excellent reg for warm water. But, stay away if you plan to dive in colder water.

As for suggestions, the Apeks and Zeagle DSIV are great regs for cold water.

I have a Mares MR22/Abyss and this is an excellent reg that is good in cold water too. Dove it in Canadian north atlantic and fresh water in winter time and it was always reliable.
I think that now when the Mares V32/Proton Ice/Metal (further development of the MR22/Abyss)is on the market, you could find one for a decent price. Otherwise the V32/Proton Ice or Metal would be probably a good choice.
If I wouldn't be so pleased with my Mares, I would probably go to the Apeks too. I think that all Apeks from the TX40 upwards would be suitable for cold water diving if the first stage is sealed.
I personaly don't like Scubapro but they are making decent regs too. IMHO there are better regs for cold water though, especially for their price.
As a photographer, you should try couple of regs and see how it works with the bubbles. Every reg diverts the bubbles differently and it may interfere with your photography and preferences.
Hope it helps you a little bit.

I have never had a problem with a MK 20 or 25 in water down to 34 degrees and depths to 150 ft, but I also use low pressure 2400 psi tanks and I think that makes a difference.

yep,the poseidon Odin-(Jetstream in Europe),the X-treme certified to 660 feet (enough?)or the cyclon(the x-treme is the latest model) i dove many years the odin -jetstream and since last year i have the x-treme and also the atmosphere full face mask from Poseidon.All of these models are superior for cold water (closed diaphragm first stages) and deep diving.peace

alemaozinho:
yep,the poseidon Odin-(Jetstream in Europe),the X-treme certified to 660 feet (enough?)or the cyclon(the x-treme is the latest model) i dove many years the odin -jetstream and since last year i have the x-treme and also the atmosphere full face mask from Poseidon.All of these models are superior for cold water (closed diaphragm first stages) and deep diving.peace
Damn, I have a Poseidon Jetstream and even didn't think to recommend Poseidon.
These are really good and solid cold and deep water regs. Just like a Volvo :wink: They are great for photography because you'll get bubbles only on 1 side of your face.
I didn't try the Xstream so I can not say anything. The Jetstream and esp. the Cyclons are already older design regs. Very solid and reliable but there are people, who would say that the breathing could be easier or smoother. They are expensive though. :wink:

@alemaozinho: Isn't the Xstream first stage a (new?) kind of piston regulator?

If you like Scubapro, you could also consider the Atomic M1. Environmentally sealed, excellent deep performance, extremely corrosion resistant materials. I've been using mine in BC - water temperatures down to 40°F, depths down to 130 ft, and it's been very reliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom