Upgrading AL DA Aqua Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew about the rising IP throughout the supply range, and the improved IP recovery makes sense. I guess when I get the reg I'll see if the 1st stage is working as is so I can try it out, but if I have to buy a replacement HP seat ($45) I might as well just go straight to the phoenix. I'd be pretty surprised if I didn't enjoy diving the double hose enough to convert the reg.
If you need a new seat let me know, I have several new old stock seats I got a few years ago for nothing from a gone out of business diveshop that had been around since the 60's. They were in a pile of stuff to be thrown out when I stopped in. I'd part with one for no cost to a long time scubaboard reg forum regular just to suck them farther to the double hose dark side.

The bands came from Vic in Canada, he is on this board and also on ebay. He can custom make bands. Yes, those are 6.9 inch aluminum Luxfer tanks. They dive nicely in a vintage configuration.

N

Based on earlier parts of this thread, I though some of you might get a kick out of this link. A buddy of mine who knows I dive BCless sent it to me. Looks like DIR reinvents vintage diving to me. PADI missed an oppertunity for a new cert. :)
Unified Team Diving (UTD) International LLC - (253) 632-5100

I wonder why they didn't choose to mount the tank with a strap harness?

Still, I don't think this is going to fly on most charter boats!

Richard

Based on earlier parts of this thread, I though some of you might get a kick out of this link. A buddy of mine who knows I dive BCless sent it to me. Looks like DIR reinvents vintage diving to me. PADI missed an oppertunity for a new cert. :)
Unified Team Diving (UTD) International LLC - (253) 632-5100

That is very interesting. I like it!

Thanks

Added:
I still think that the next tech rig could use a DH in the same or similar configuration that I used in my class.

I love the idea of diving BC-less in principle. But, I don't see how you can comfortably maintain neutral buoyancy throughout the dive with a 5-6lb swing in gas weight, plus wetsuit compression. I guess you just learn to hold varying amounts of air in your lungs, and I suspect there's a certain amount of swimming technique involved...

OTOH, using a minimal plate and wing is pretty unobtrusive, much less than slinging a full size tank.

I love the idea of diving BC-less in principle. But, I don't see how you can comfortably maintain neutral buoyancy throughout the dive with a 5-6lb swing in gas weight, plus wetsuit compression. I guess you just learn to hold varying amounts of air in your lungs, and I suspect there's a certain amount of swimming technique involved...

OTOH, using a minimal plate and wing is pretty unobtrusive, much less than slinging a full size tank.

You have to choose the correct equipment and you have to learn to choose your weight as well. Use of the lungs, controlled breathing is key as well. Yes, there is technique and skill involved but it really is not diffucult if you come at it with the open mind that you would have had in 1964 before there were BCs, you would not have made your negative statement.

No, with heavy tanks, thick exposure gear it can be impossible. The steel 72 works best, an aluminum 80 will work, some steel tanks are just to heavy. As well, the modern soft and stretchy neoprene is a challenge, the genuine Rubatex G231 does not compress as much and does not have as much bouyancy swing. In the day, suits were made of this or similar neoprene, stiffer and less compressible than todays stuff. Additionally you will not have absolutely neutral bouyancy throughout the dive, you learn to compensate. I dare say that many of us have better bouyancy control and remian closer to neutral than do many BC equipped divers in similar conditions.

It is relatively easy to dive no BC in a 3/2 suit or less. Heavier steel tanks must be countered by your exposure gear and no, you cannot wear a 14 pound negative steel tank and dive in a stainless plate with a Speedo for your exposure protection, no, your lungs will not compensate.

Call me jaded, don't care, bouyancy control and PadI go together about as well as oil and water. The only divers with worse bouyancy control than a PadI student diver is the PadI instructor diver crawling along the bottom, crushing the marine life and Yo-Yo-ing like a, well, YO-YO.

N

With no wet suit an AL-80 is perfect for me. I weight (which happens to be no weights in fresh and 4lbs in salt) to be neutral at 1500psi with an Al-80. The total swing is around 4 lbs so at the beginning I am +2 and -2 at the end of the dive, an amount I find easy to deal with, starting off at a -3 to +1 swing might be easier to deal with. I have yet to do any deeper diving with a wetsuit but experimenting in the pool with a 1/4" top I needed to add 8 lbs to sink it but found little difference at 12 ft. Any one got any idea what the actual buoyancy shift is of a 3mm or 5mm full suit at 60 or 100 ft?

I don't think I made a negative statement about BC-less diving. The fact is you have to compensate for the weight of the gas; one way or the other, you're going to be either heavy at the beginning or light at the end, or some combination like herman. I'm sure you can do it just fine. But you can't be truly neutral throughout the whole dive. Not that it matters too much, I'm sure you have the technique to deal with a few extra pounds of gas weight.

I guess the only way to really measure the actual loss in buoyancy of a wetsuit would be to get neutral at the surface, descend, and start handing weights to your buddy until you're neutral again. The typical 'sink your wetsuit' test only measures the total buoyancy of the suit.

As with most things, there's a time and place for BC-less diving. If you want to dive vintage, then it is your only choice, unless you are like me and consider a horsecollar "vintage enough".

On the California coast with a 1/4" farmer john, vintage twin 50s, and trying to weight to be able to swim back onto the beach UNDER the surf, neutral buoyancy with no BC ain't gonna happen, believe me. You could just be heavy and drag your butt along the bottom during the dive. Sometimes with surge it is actually of benefit, but if all divers weighted that way, then the wildlife attached to the rocks wouldn't last long. Or, you can weight to be neutral at the end of the dive and do some surfing on your re-entry. Or, use a horsecollar and enjoy weaving, neutral, through the kelp forest.

On another hand, if you are diving in a river with current to contend with, then BC-less diving is the way to go, IMO. No BC equals more streamlined, and you are going to want to be a little heavy anyway to be able to hug the bottom and not be swept away with the current. The wet suit becomes your BC once you drop your weight belt, but I've never had to do that. Besides, the bank is always less than 50 feet away on either side.

These guys who dive warm water with little or no need for exposure protection have it made as far as not needing BCs. Then neutral buoyancy throughout a BC-less dive is not only do-able, it will be an experience of freedom like you have probably not felt while diving. Just be really sure you don't surface a mile from your boat with no weight belt to drop!

Don't take my word for it though. Experiment, experiment, experiment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom