Update on the Monterey conditions, anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did anyone go diving today?

Would be interesting to get an update on the actual conditions in Monterey/Carmel (eager to get in the water tomorrow, but don't want to do the long drive down there if conditions are crappy).

Cheers

Hi, sorry, I was planning on diving this morning but my buddy is sick. The water looks excellent though, flat and not a whitecap to be seen. There is also hardly any wind in Monterey, I would definitely go diving today if I could. Unfortunately I can't offer an actual dive report though, sorry.

I'm waiting for the same info, but the forecast appears to have settled down a little bit, and the Monterey Bay Aquarium's webcam of the bay doesn't show anything too scary looking...

I went diving yesterday (1/16) morning at Monastery North side. It was like bucket water. Viz more than 50 feet. One of those rare moment in Monastery. There were no swell and waves that my buddy walk out of the water. However, I saw from the prediction chart the condition will get worse very quickly.

wow, that is a rare treat, being able to walk out of the water! Must have been nice.

Coll's report sounds promising, but it would have been great to get an actual dive report from someone who went out today.

OK, didn't see this post til just now. We were down at Breakwater today and spoke to divers...no diving for us so it's second hand info. But we were told by an instructor with a Rescue class that further out on the wall was 30' vis, though declining through the day. In addition, the water was surprisingly flat on surface given the reports. I was regretting not bringing my gear.

Update - just called one of the dive shops and apparently it is really calm and nothing like the forecast, breakwater was very calm with 30 ft of viz.

Would be nice to get some first hand reports on Monastery, Pt Lobos etc. though.

i was there last weds through yesterday and dove breakwater and lovers and it was awesome!!! 30-50ft of vis!!! and no surge and no wind for that matter!! perfect time if you have the time to get down there!! i always go during the week to cause there oviously less people there which is nice...dont have to fight for parking! haha
Happy Bubbles!

Incredible how off the reports were... I bet those conditions are on their way, just wasn't this weekend...

yeah, those reports really missed the mark. We went down yesterday (Sunday) and dove Monastery. It was flat, no waves and you could easily walk out of the water!! Viz was good - 40 ft or more. A little surge, but not much. Overall it turned out to be a great day of diving.

We checked out the conditions at Copper Roof House and Butterfly before heading over to Monastery and over there is was crap with massive waves breaking - i.e. undiveable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom