Update on Table Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagreg

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from table Rock. The vis above about 30 - 40 ft is just about 0. I have never seen it this bad, and neither have the locals. But when you get below all the poor vis at about 30 -40 ft it opens up pretty good. The people at the State Park Marina said that the Mo. Conservation says the poor vis is probably due to all the construction aruond the lake which has made the lake slow to turn.I did notice that just beyond the damm that spills into Tany como they where using a crane to dig off the shore. The vis goes from about 1 ft to about 25-30 ft. water temp at the surface was about 76. To get to the good vis the temp drops to around 60. Also just for my benefit where is the Zebulan Pike located. I have dove this wreck 2 times before but I could not find it this time. I know it's at Indian point, but I could not find the rope from the tree that takes you out there. Maybe we where in the wrong spot I don't know, but if anyone knows better directions to this dive site I'd sure like to know for future.

The directions from Scuba-Sports website is:

Zebulon Pike: N 36* 37.859', W. 93* 20.146'
Just around the bend from the Table Rock Dam. Boat wreck dive. This 90 ft. long, double-decker excursion boat lies in 75-95 ft. of water. Find the guideline 15 ft. near shore and follow it down to the boat. A fun dive for more experienced divers. Take a light along with you.

http://www.scuba-sports.com/dive.htm

They can probably tell you if there’s been any changes to the location marker or guide line.

I heard reports of two fatalities and several injuries last weekend on Table Rock in two separate incidents from some friends who were down there boating, fishing and diving.

Something to do with the deadly combination of alcohol, fast boats, youths, and jetskis. Apparently two jetskis collided in one incident and a cigarette boat ran 40' ashore in another "accident". :rolleyes:

Be safe down there!

Well that explains it! Last year we went to Table Rock Lake twice, and the locals were apologizing about the poor conditions. We did our first lake dives of the season Memorial Day weekend, and the visibility didn't open up until 20 feet down. I mean, my husband and I kept losing each other on the way down!
We dove Lake Tenkiller near Gore, Oklahoma, on Saturday and had a great time. So did the people from Ft. Smith and Tulsa! That's a new experience.
Alas, the work on Table Rock Lake's dam looks like it will take a while. The crawdads will just have to wait until next year.

Trisha:
Well that explains it! Last year we went to Table Rock Lake twice, and the locals were apologizing about the poor conditions. We did our first lake dives of the season Memorial Day weekend, and the visibility didn't open up until 20 feet down. I mean, my husband and I kept losing each other on the way down!
We dove Lake Tenkiller near Gore, Oklahoma, on Saturday and had a great time. So did the people from Ft. Smith and Tulsa! That's a new experience.
Alas, the work on Table Rock Lake's dam looks like it will take a while. The crawdads will just have to wait until next year.
we dove tr lake mid may and the viz above 20 ft was really poor very easy to loose your buddy, but below 20-30 ft was good, indian point wAS the worst just really crappy viz, we had a boat and back in the coves were really good 25+, i am heading to bever this weekend any info would be great/ thanks

We dove at Beaver Lake last summer and enjoyed it. The shore diving was near some of the picnic tables, close to the dam. Good visibility and critters.
On the negative side, I was not impressed with the latrines or the state park set up. We camped 45 minutes away at Lost Bridge North, which is an excellent site for general outdoor activities. A bit of a long, winding trip if you leave your light behind.
I hope this helps. Oh, and I have a thread up asking about shore diving at Bull Shoals. Is there any?
http://www.lostbridgemarina.com/html/camp.html
http://candjsports.com/home.php

I really hope the vis at Table Rock improves before I visit there mid-july. Family trip, I'm the only diver. Will be taking my AOW, but that leaves a lot of extra dive time. Anyone local want to hang out and show me the (underwater) sites? July 16-23.

wayne2241:
I really hope the vis at Table Rock improves before I visit there mid-july. Family trip, I'm the only diver. Will be taking my AOW, but that leaves a lot of extra dive time. Anyone local want to hang out and show me the (underwater) sites? July 16-23.

Just got back from a week at TR. Most places the vis went from poor at 21 ft. (2-3 ft.) to pretty good at 23 ft. (~18ft.) and by 27 feet it got fine. 60 to 90 was great (35-40 ft). Surface water temp-upper 70's, at depth-a chilly 58ish).

Don't know where you are doing your AOW, but the State Park Marina is great to work with, IMO. They dive locations from Jake's Point Island to Breezy Point regularly.

Compared to what I've been used to lately here in Wisconsin, those aren't bad conditions. I am signed up to work with Louis at Scuba Sports. Now whether it will be him or one of his other instructors, I can't say.

Just found this thread so it may be too late but I can tell you how to find the Zebulon Pike. From Jakes Island, go almost striaght North past the first cove with docks. After that just follow the shoreline almost to the mouth of the next cove. In about 15ft of water you will find a stump sort of by itself with several pop bottles tied off to it. At the base of this tree is a rope that will lead you to the Pike. The front railing was at around 65ft. The stern lies in ~80ft. Hope this helps. These may not be exact as I have only been there once but I think you can find it. If nothing else, just follow the West shoreline heading North and you should be able to find the stump with pop bottles tied to it. There were also a couple of orange bouys floating on the surface in the area. They might have been tied off to the boat but I don't know. We didn't investigate these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom