Update on Table Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned. Made several dives including the ZebPike, Jake's Point Island and cabin cruiser and several other locales. We dove mostly from my Boston Whaler, Nemrod II, but also employed a local shop for one of the dives. I dove everything solo and vintage except for the ZebPike. Viz was decent, I would say about 20-25 feet on the ZebPike at 90 feet and about 10 feet or slightly less shallower. I will tell you one thing--the water deep is COLD!!!!!!!! Less than 50 degrees!!!!!!!!
The ZebPike is an excellent dive, great wreck, lot's to see. Jake's Point Island and cabin cruiser were fun as well. If you are equipped for cold water these are great dive sites. The ZebPike is easy to find--as the post from bgray is exactly correct. It also shows on sonar well. The Jake's Point cabin cruiser shows well on sonar and we located it using GPS. I motored Nemrod over the coordinates and yelled to my wife to drop anchor on my mark. The anchor hit the thing dead center!!!!!! Yehaaaa!!

The pics, one with guide over the ZebPike, I am in black, next is me on the gunwale of Nemrod II, here Nemrod returns from the deep and next my mates. N

We dove mostly from my Boston Whaler, Nemrod II, but also employed a local shop for one of the dives.

Your own Whaler? On Table Rock? I'm green with envy. Nice report,thanks.
That all looks wierd, I assure you I can make complete sentences.

Ozarkjim, I trailered the Whaler to Table Rock. It is a Nantucket 190 named of course Nemrod II. It is a good boat for diving, relatively fast, seaworthy, roomy with an easy ride on chop, great little dive boat.
I am not a lake diver, it is always amazing to be 50 feet from shore and drop 150 feet of anchor line and find no bottom!!! One thing I did not mention before, there was a bunch of fish. Not so many on the ZebPike but over at the Jakes Point site there were many bass, bream, crawfish and other assorted types. They followed me accompanying me on my entire dive there, they were good dive buddies since I was solo. I think they were enjoying my double hose, no bc, no hoses, no danglies. One of them had a deformed lip I imagine from an encounter with some of the lures I found dangling from every tree. I think something needs to be done about monofiliment, some way to make it degradeable over long time periods? N

I just returned from Table Rock. I completed my AOW and Nitrox with Scuba Sports and it was a great experience. The first day was at Dewey Short and I have to say I was highly impressed with the water clarity and visibility. Passing through the thermocline it was as murky as here in WI. At depth it was amazing. The panfish there were very curious when I was tying off my lift bag, they had no fear whatsoever. Had some lines that were cast from shore come whizzing past me a few feet. I wasn't a happy camper about that.

The second day dove the cabin cruiser at Jakes point and the Zebulon Pike. At jakes point we lost our anchor and got to put my newly learned S&R skills into play and found the anchor at the top of the thermocline layer barely on the ledge.

The guys I dove with were great and it was a lot of fun. I will definitely go back.

My name is Scott Johnston, and I saw your post about the Zebulon Pike. I was wondering if you still wanted to know where it is. I have dived it 4 times and actually dived it two days ago (August 22, 2005). I can give you detailed directions, GPS coordinates, and an attachment of a topo map with the site plotted if you would like.

Divesolo, if you are talking to me I found the Zeb Pike but pleaee post your info for others. I am interested as well. Table Rock, in my experience as a mostly salt water diver, has the best lake diving I have encountered. If it were not so darn cold!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks. N

Nemrod:
mostly salt water diver, has the best lake diving I have encountered. If it were not so darn cold!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks. N

It's always interesting to see what other divers think of lake temps, the last time I dove there at 82 feet it was 51 degree's and at the surface I think it was 84 degrees. Talk about shock, you couldn't wait to get out of the 100 degree air temps, then once in the water it felt like you'd never cool off in the 84 degree surface temps and then finally relief once you got below 30 feet or so. What temps did you run into?

There sure are enough things to dive there, but I suspect the wildlife isn't as varied as you find in the warmer waters you're used to playing with. I can only dream of warm water and visibility more than 30 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom