Upcoming Technical Conference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll have my stock-pile by then :)

You think 60 cents/cf is expensive?

hehehehe

You're too young to remember when, 1972, oil was running out and we were going to be in electric cars by 1985.

hehehehehe Now that's DAMN funny.

OK I'm stretching it too, as in '72 I was only 5, but yes I can remember it just the same.

Regards

gatorboy:
Just wanted to touch on that. You've more than established your sense of humour and most of us know how to take you. this guy had 3 posts previous to this and writes blatent disrespect about those people and has not since said any different. When someone takes you out of context and replies to you, you politely correct them. There is a differce.

....and for the record....here we go again..... I don't recommend diving deep air. I do and have done it. In a place like Hell's Hole there is no other way to dive here. In such a heavy current, trimix is not suitable. Our trimix instructor won't even dive it here and neither will Ninja. As for diving deep air in other places, I'm just waiting to do my trimix course which is quickly approaching. I can honestly say that I don't think the time will come when you see me using it in less than 150'. Personally that's how I feel. I know how other's feel about it as well and that's their opinion and their also entitled to it. The number of times I go out in a month and dive around the 150' range would cost me a bloody fortune!! Not to mention that He. is in limited supply. When we run out in ten years are you guys going to stop diving below 100'??? That's a serious question and wouldn't mind getting some feedback on.

Jody

Well Gator Ole buddy............I can think of a few folks that would disagree with your take on diving mix in Hells Hole because of current etc. I'll see if they come out naturally. If not, I might have to drag them to the party. "Run some profiles and see for yourself" is roughly what MHK once said about a similar topic.

I guess it still is a "voodoo" gas.

I'm glad my course will soon move to the next step, as I have already learned so much (But I'm coming from no-where anyways, so put it in perspective). I've been pent-up with tonnes of questions after all the "book work" I've been doing.

All I am saying is that any certified trim-mix diver that has dove in Hell's Hole will not use mix there. Remember now, there are only seven of us that dive there. 3 are certified trimix divers and I think it is safe to say that you wouold judge Ninja as a pretty conservative diver and he won't even use mix there. Until you let me take you on a dive there (which won't happen) you just cannot understand the currents and the consistently changing currents. The simple fact you accept when you dive there is that you could get blown up and down 60 or 80' without having any control of the situation. One person was blown up 60' in four seconds!!! See what your trimix manual recommends as an ascent rate. I'm sure the two numbers won't match! When you do actually hit the 185' depth, you're doing everything just to hang on...and when you let go, it's one hell of a ride!!!! Fastest rollercoaster I've ever been on.

This isn't about profiles and getting out of the water faster. This is about the rate at which you may have to ascend or descend or both over and over. Riding a whirl pool for a 1.5 km over a 13 minute period isn't any fun, especially when you're doing a shutdown, had a fin tore off, have no visual reference point except your computer and with your wing fully inflated are still going down spinning like a helicopter blade and you're watching you bubles go down not up at 159'. Yes this did happen to me and when it did finally let me go it tried to slingshot me to the surface! Get the picture now. Yes I did all my deco requiements and gas switches and no I did not die or get bent and no I wasn't narced , my bubles were going down. The printout from my Vytec was pretty impressive. LOL

Side note - the boils in the water down there are anywhere from 10 to 30+ feet across and the top of the boil is as much as 6 or 8" above the rest of the surface level. Anybody have any idea what kind of an up-current you need to create that size of a boil. Think about that before you answer back and say "Ya, it's deeper than 100', you should be on mix." The simple fact is 99% of the population won't understand this dive and never will, unless they dove it.There is only one Niagara Falls, Niagara Whirlpool and one Niagara Glen and all that water and force creates Hell's Hole! It is one of a kind, and like your English teacher told you back in elementary school, "There is always an exception to the rule!"

Cheers
Jody

So like John Schirtzer (sp) said to you guys last year, maybe you shouldn't be diving there at all.

As to ALL 3 of the trimix divers.........like I said, run some profiles, think about CO2 retention during hard work, and check accepted ascent rates for N2 and He. (Which you are exceeding greatly regardless of the gas used). Yes, you are exceeding them because the dive MAKES you, not because of sloppy diving practice. (Which goes back to point # 1, maybe the dive shouldn't be done in the first place).

Then I'll drag a few more learned divers into the equation (If they don't coming willingly) and I'll ask them the question. All 3 of you might just be suprised on what they say.

Of course, I've been told too many times that "All those idiots" on Scuba Board don't know "Jack" and they can't possibly be good divers as they haven't devoted their entire life to diving like XXX has etc etc...........I'm sure TomR, Dan MacKay, Doppler, MHK, JamesP, Kevin Ripley and many others here were suprised to hear just what a bunch of no-bodys they were!!!

Now that's not a slam, per say on anybody, it's what I've been directly told, no hear-say or otherwise.

Steve

P.S.

When I say profiles, just so you understand, I'm not talking JUST about total run times. There's more to them than that piece of info.

P.P.S.

But then again, What do I know :)

See ya in the water Gator my bud. (Sorry, not in Hells Hole). As I always tell you, I like my life, as pathetic as it may be.

Good post on that other M/Brd, you made me think of a few things I had forgotten. Thanks.

Are you doing the St. James with Obeeno?

Already paid for the St. James. Wouldn't miss it for nothin'!!! Are you on that??

As for the other guys you refered to, you know, or should anyway, I won't pass judgement until it is first had. I think I am pretty fair about that. If one of these other guys wanted to do the dive I would be more than willing to show them.an I know a lot of other tech. divers are interested as well. This dive can be done safely. I've logged more dives there than anyone else. I believe Herb is right behind me. When that one disasterous dive happerned Herb, Jamie and I were doing something completely different. There is a way to avoid most of serious boils and whirlpools and just have to deal with the heavy current. I figure by May we'll be diving there again.

Actually, that's something I haven't put about Hell's Hole in my previous posts. We dive it wet. None of us will dive it dry because of the upcurrent there. Not willing to take that chance even it means not diving there for 6 months.

Just out of curiousity, what did I remind you of and what Post are you referring to?

Jody

Don't worry Scuba Steve, I'll still dive with you. Maybe they will let us take our gear in Maple Park Pool, They have a kiddie pool don't they!!!!!!!!! Now that Humour!!!!!!!LMAO
We'll mix up nice and rich for that one!!!!!!!

The reminder was RE: FearNoEvil's post.

Hmmmm. Kiddie pool. Better than the mud puddles you guys waste your time in. (Welland Canal etc).

Something tells me MHK wouldn't waste his time diving the "Hole". It's not only the dive I'm referrring to, its the understanding of He too.

And more to that, it seems a few run pretty slack and carefree with the He anyways.

I've run a few profiles for kicks, on dives that I'd never attempt at my level of un-understanding and neo-phyte skills, and there's no way in hell, even with the programs set on BRA$$ BALL$ that one could ever get out of the water within 25 minutes of what was actually done by certain Trimix divers I know. And I'm supposed to be following that line of instruction? I don't think so!

Take it for what it's worth. Not wanting to disrespect anyone, I will remain mute on further discussions on this topic, as you know of what I refer to.

As always, IMHO, it's not the card you get (or don't), it's your mind-set and maturity of the diver thats counts for more.

As to the St James, well, I THINK I'm in. DiveMistress and I have paid, but the powers that be may tell us to bugger-off :) Obeeno was having a bird earlier about getting paid up. I told him to relax, that we were committed, and I'd pay even if I wasn't able to go at the last minute. You all know darn well I would too. It's simply a fact of never seeing the guy. So finally D/Miss, ran down and anted in for us both. We aren't the one backing out all the time at the last minute. I think there's more to the story than just that. But who cares, we wanna dive with our friends, end of story!

Scuba_Steve:
I've run a few profiles for kicks, on dives that I'd never attempt at my level of un-understanding and neo-phyte skills, and there's no way in hell, even with the programs set on BRA$$ BALL$ that one could ever get out of the water within 25 minutes of what was actually done by certain Trimix divers I know. And I'm supposed to be following that line of instruction? I don't think so!!

From the sounds of it you'd hardly know you were bent after this dive. You wouldn't be able to feel the itchy elbows and joint pain underneath all the additional pain and bruising from getting tossed around.

This dive sounds like playing prison league hockey without any gear on.

THIS DIVE SOUNDS LIKE A DEATH WISH AND THE PEOPLE WHO DIVE IT AND HAVE BEEN DIVING IT ARE JUST LUCKY. OR THE DIVE IS NOT THAT HARD AND NOT LIKE IT IS BEING DESCIBED ON THIS THREAD.
NOW THE IMPORTANT QUESTION, WHAT THE **** DO YOU SEE AT DEPTH, LET ME GUESS NOTHING, ITS THE EXPERIENCE. WELL I KNOW BETTER EXPERIENCES THAT YOU CAN SAFELY DO.
http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/inside_park/rides/thrill/ttd/index.cfm
enjoy
deepdiver5by5

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom