Unusual problem or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a pair of Mares Raptor fins that I bought when I thought I was going to be using them for occasional snorkeling in the Caribbean on cruises. They seemed like a good fin for the money and the use that I had intended for them. However, knowing that it is more fun to be under water than on top, my wife and I decided to get OW certified, and I used the Raptors for the first ten dives this year without a problem. Those dives were a maximum of two dives/day for a max of three days. Now, after a week in Bonaire with three dives a day I find that I have some pretty nasty bruising under the nails of my big toes and the fourth toe on each foot. I suspect the problem may be the fact that I wore Deep Sea Manta boots (hard soles) at Bonaire which raised my foot in the fin pockets of the Raptor fins which have a hard plastic shell on the foot pocket. My gut feeling is that I am going to have to buy some other fins that have softer, all rubber foot pockets for use on heavy duty dive weeks where I need hard sole rather than medium sole boots, but before I spend more money on fins, I would appreciate any comments from more experienced divers that may have had this problem. If it turns out that I have to buy different fins, I am not going to be terribly upset, because I found the divers in my group at Bonaire (many were wearing Scubapro Twin Jets) were smoking ahead of me, and I was expending a lot of energy to keep up. Of course that probably had more to do with my kicking technique than the fins. But novice divers are like novice golfers in that we tend to want to find the better club to compensate for a crappy swing.

If it turns out that I have to buy different fins, I am not going to be terribly upset, because I found the divers in my group at Bonaire (many were wearing Scubapro Twin Jets) were smoking ahead of me, and I was expending a lot of energy to keep up.
Let them go; you and your buddy go at your own (slow) pace. You'll save air and extend your dive. In general, and particularly in Bonaire, there is nothing 50 meters ahead that is cooler than what you can find where you are, if you take the time to look.
Of course that probably had more to do with my kicking technique than the fins. But novice divers are like novice golfers in that we tend to want to find the better club to compensate for a crappy swing.
As the proud former owner of an "anti-slice" driver, I can tell you that it's a losing strategy. :D

you want the best club, get real jet fins... will change your driver to a potato canon...
or variations of, rocket fins, hollis f1, oms slipstream, hog, etc

Keep the raptors for snorkeling and warm stuff. A lot of times if you change booties, you'll either get a loose fin pocket or a wicked tight one. I have 2 different size jetfins and a set of OMS slipstreams depending on which booties I'm wearing. You'll see that most tech divers have two sets of fins, one for warm water, another for drysuit or cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom