Unstaffed moored boat during dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saboteur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Did some dives in CI a while back and something about the crew deployment struck me as odd as I’d never seen it, mind you I’ve only been with a handful of ops. There were two crew and both were in the water with two groups of guests, there were no crew on board during the dives. There was a non diver (not staff but a significant other of one of the divers) along for the ride left on board during the dives. Are there any regulations against this in the Cayman islands jurisdiction? I’m no mariner but it seems to me that there should be a trained crew member on board to tend the boat, mooring and other possible emergencies.

I wouldn’t use said provider if I knew this ahead of time!

If they provide me with a dive scooter free of charge with enough battery time for my dive and scootering to shore, then sure, why not. If not, forget it.

Sounds like you can do most anything unsafe with a boat in the Cayman Islands and get away with it.

Far too many reports of incidents that begin with unattended boats for me to be comfortable with this

Well we didn’t know what the situation would when we boarded, indeed we didn’t even know until the dive briefing. Fortunately there were two boats on nearby moorings that could possibly be of assistance if something went down. I’ll be looking at other ops for future trips.

Interesting thread. In 2004, my family of 4 was often the only passengers on a well known six pack, We would go out to the north wall and do our own dive. The DM//Captain would wait outside the wall for our return. These were great dives.The boat was left unattended. I've been diving since 1970, things have changed massively.

Well this is a sad thread. Any CITA and/or approved boat is required to have someone on surface watch. We may we’ll be the smallest op on the island and still pay up for staff and insurance. Knowing the requirements is pretty easy. If the pricing is way down, something is off. Just make sure your op is CITA up to date. Anyone saying anything goes in The Cayman Islands is wrong. We pay up to operate here. Up to guests to make informed decisions but if someone chooses to go outside the box, don’t knock all the legitimate operators. I am sorry but we have been diving Cayman for the best part of 30 years and now have an op. The only way you get cheaper dives here is if someone cuts corners. Why wouldn’t anyone with a brain think why are they so much cheaper. The Cathy comments are unfair and there is a good chance unreasonable. There is a reason why the cut and pastes are despised.

Are we sure that the non-staff member was not adequately skilled to man the unoccupied vessel?

I don't want to dive from an unattended boat, but if several vessels are moored in close proximity to each other and a person remains on the boat, I don't think I would be too concerned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom