Unpotting wires

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI, there are probably a hundred different versions of potting epoxy. Without knowing which version was used there is no way to know what the best attack is. I have no doubt there is a version that will fall apart with hot water. I will also state there are several that will laugh that off.

Heat destroys epoxy. It will soften then become crumbly. You could try boiling water, might work to gently soften it but I've never done that. A heat gun will work. A small torch and soldering iron are also useful depending what you're unpotting. You'll still need to carefully dig at it with a dental pick or small scrapers but un-potting epoxy encapsulated components is possible. I wouldn't try it with solvents. Be patient and careful.
This ^^^

"Hot" water really isnt hot enough in most cases and is exactly what you don't want contaminating the underlying electronics and wiring. Most potting materials are resistant to solvents.

If the casing is aluminum or other metal, you can use a heat gun to soften the epoxy and pick it out with a combination of flat screwdrivers and dental picks. If the casing is delrin or an unknown plastic you can destroy the casing with the heat gun. So instead use a soldering iron and poke into the potting material being mindful that you don't want to contact the actual soldered joints inside. Then pick out the potting material. You can also use small dremel tools to grind out potting material.

I use a heat gun to break down epoxy and potting compounds at work weekly. A chisel tip soldering iron works well too if you can't convince your partner to use their hair dryer. Epoxies are resilient to most solvents. Clean everything up after you're done with some isopropyl alcohol or MEK.

Back
Top Bottom