Unpotting wires

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jale

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I have a rebreather and the wires for the cells are potted in a resin-epoxy material.
To do some mod, I would like to remove the resin-epoxy to have access to the wires.
By googling, I saw that boiling water works but I am afraid of damaging the monitors 'cables coming out of the potted delrin pod.
Any hints for doing that?
Thanks

Do you really thing boiling will make a dent in resin-epoxy material
It should be soft maybe under a skin cut pick it apart and vacuum it

You're there what is it

Do you really thing boiling will make a dent in resin-epoxy material
It should be soft maybe under a skin cut pick it apart and vacuum it

You're there what is it
Just watched some youtube videos...seems to work but what do I know?!
Try to cut it but too hard :(

I doubt heat and water alone will touch epoxy, it’s a non-polar thermo-set polymer. You’ll need some sort of solvent like acetone or benzene. If it doesn’t cause cancer it’s probably not enough… Doubt that will do much for the cells future reliability either.

• Disagree
Reactions: OTF
I doubt heat and water alone will touch epoxy, it’s a non-polar thermo-set polymer. You’ll need some sort of solvent like acetone or benzene. If it doesn’t cause cancer it’s probably not enough… Doubt that will do much for the cells future reliability either.
Thanks for your reply.
It looks like I must prepare myself to do some kind of archeologist hard digging job :)

Post some pics and maybe details about unit, I'm sure someone can share some tips.

For the inspo classic, you just have to keep carefully scraping away at it, but it's a soft(ish) potting compound compared to epoxy.

Thanks for your reply.
It looks like I must prepare myself to do some kind of archeologist hard digging job :)

Thats really the only way. As far as I know there is not magical hot water or chemical that will melt away potting.

The guys at the JJ factory literally just use a screwdriver and dig it out.

1673778414929.png

Heat destroys epoxy. It will soften then become crumbly. You could try boiling water, might work to gently soften it but I've never done that. A heat gun will work. A small torch and soldering iron are also useful depending what you're unpotting. You'll still need to carefully dig at it with a dental pick or small scrapers but un-potting epoxy encapsulated components is possible. I wouldn't try it with solvents. Be patient and careful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom