UNO results are in!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar:
We did the Rescue thing at Vortex Spring early Friday, but with all the rescuing each other, Rachel and I couldn't get any ScubUNO in. Then we got blown out of the Gulf for Friday's night dives, so there was no water in which to play. Then we got blown out of the Gulf to Morrison Spring for Saturday morning's dives, and we didn't get to play there, either. Then we wanted to get in a jetty dive at slack tide, but the vis was untenable (even if urchins do make great card holders). Then we got blown out of the Gulf for Saturday's attempt at getting the night dives in, so no play then. Then we got blown out of the Gulf to Vortex Spring for this morning's dives, and once we finished everything, it was time to go home, so no ScubUNO today, either.

So, basically, we had no saltwater exposure all weekend, and no opportunity to play ScubUNO either, but Rachel and I have now added Rescue and Search & Recovery to our portfolios. I'm only ahead of her by NAUI Master Scuba Diver, but even if we made up ISOSAD certs, all the games I've played were against her... :wink:

Hmmm... ISOSAD c-cards... hmmmmm... ISOSAD "Sea-Cards"... Too bad custom-branded plastic playing cards would likely cost so terribly much. :D
I found a set at Target when I got my UNO cards, they were only a couple of bucks.

Congrats to you and Rachel on your rescue cert, ClayJar. No worries about not playing the game, though...there'll be plenty of other opportunities, especially with this crowd.

Becky and I even found a deck of UNO H2O cards at a Target in Toledo on Saturday...the addiction continues...

Well, Rod and I went to the Treasure Hunt... Rikkis, Divin' Hoosier, Aqualvr, Nitrox Junkie, and Komi Hunter were there. We took the UNO cards, but didn't use them. Here's what happened. Rod, Divin' Hoosier, and I were gonna drop down and play a game. Well, I was wearing my 3 mil, with a 7 mil shorty over top of it. I wasn't sure how much weight to use, so I overweighted by a few pounds... (we were dropping down way to far out to be able to get more weights if needed, so I overweighted). Well... by the time we got to the buoy, I was somewhat hot, and felt VERY overweighted, and my weight belt was hurting my hips, so I bailed on the dive. I told Rod and Divin' Hoosier to do the dive without me.... and I would swim back to the beach. Once back, I got rid of the 7 mil shorty, and dropped some weights, and was fine for the actual Treasure Hunt dive.... though QUITE cold! The water was about 68 degrees... I found some spots to be about 65. Anyways... for the initial dive, I wasn't comfortable, gear wise and wasn't going to decend that way... so I told the guys to go ahead.... thus no card playing. Bummer.

So... long story short. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spread the fun of ScubUNO. I would have tried after we found our "loot" for the hunt... but my dive computer died... and I was cold so that cut the dive short. A little tidbit too.... there is only 1 underwater platform, and I don't believe it is even buoyed... so, Rod and I found it by accident, and I don't think I could find it again if I wanted to! There is also not much to see at France Park.

I just bought two t-shirt from cafe press- a t-shirt and a tank top. I sent erparamedic and my friend in Idaho (pretty in pink) email coupons for $5 off. It would have let me send the coupons to 5 people but I didn't think till after I already sent them to send them to eckybay and R. Joe... sorry guys. The $5 off basically covers your shipping.

I'll let you know how they look when they come in...

Cool!!! I'll order mine on Friday (payday). I think I'm gonna get a sweatshirt. Thanks for the coupon!

RJoe and Ecky, and whoever else wants a coupon, send my your email address and I'll send you one when I order.

I want a coupon please!

Also, can you add the baseball jersey style shirt to the store? Pretty please!

Hopefully this will post . . .there's issues where I'm at with the Internet provider. We'll have access for a few minutes, then we won't have any for a half an hour.:confused:

Anyways, since "the boys" are all going golf on Friday, I decided to try the drilling method of putting holes in the card decks. The results were varied. I had a full deck of UNO cards - which consisted of the two shrink wrapped halves - and a deck of the plastic playing cards.

My first thought was to keep the cards in the shrink wrap to help hold them together. The problem with this was that the top cards got too hot and the top cards started to melt around the holes and the plastic debris built up and stuck to the gummy plastic.

So we tried smaller bunches and used small clamps to help hold the cards in place. You'd need two people to do this - one to drill, and one to hold the cards.
Or in my case, you'd need three hourly engineers, one hourly engineer tech, and one hourly surveyor. What can I say, there are a lot of people willing to help out a gal around here....
The smaller batches worked better, but there was still a tendency for the cards to drift.

The method that was found to work best was this:
Get a survey hub (If you don't work at a civil engineering firm, any piece of 2" wide wood should work). Rubber band the cards to the wood. Using smaller stacks of cards, first do a small hole, than the larger hole. This helps to eliminate the problem of warm debris sticking to the card and gets better looking holes. There was still some warping/burrs around the holes using this method, but I at least felt that it was decent results.

So now all my cards are ready to go! Some of them have really nasty holes, and some of them look pretty good as the method was adjusted.

I'll post pictures and a better write up under the "Hints and Tricks" section of the ISOSAD website in the next few days. (If my Internet co-operates, that is)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom