Unknown device - what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the diameter of the hose, it doesn't appear to be a very efficient form of surface air supply. There's probably a breathing bag or counterlung in the front housing.
Looks like it'd be a bear in any kind of current.
BTW, 2nd stages used on hookahs have a lighter spring in them so they can provide air in a range from 35 PSI - 125 PSI.
I doubt if the rig pictured would have a working pressure in excess of 30 psi, give or take.

gj62:
This looks more like it - have you seen one of these in-person? Would be interesting to play around with...
Unfortunately, you are now smarter about SSUBA than I am. :bounce:

I am not shure but I think its called a powersnorkle.
it is a snorkeling device with a small airpump at the end, if I am not mistaken I think max deapth was somewhere around 6 meters (20 feet).
not depending of hose, but of power in the pump...

I did a search for "Powersnorkle" and "Power Snorkle" on the net and came up with nada. What is it???

It looks like the device in the web reference.

I can't come up with a reason why it wouldn't work - the only real problem is the hoses, since you need two (one for inhale, one for exhale.) Pretty cool recovery of the energy in the rising gas normally expelled into the water....

I agree Genesis - sure does look like the www.ssuba.com. From whois, they registered in June '03. Just a 1 year reg - not too confident I would say :wink:

Looks fun, but requires a compressed tank, so not so sure how you would convince someone it is better than snuba. Has to be delivering air at ambient, so the only thing I can think of would be a time factor. However, looks more geared towards rec than something like mining, where hookas are popular.

Cool tech, but is it needed?

URL:
Mounted horizontally to the back of the divers weight belt is one of the world's smallest SCUBA class compressed air tanks, at only 9 inches long and 4 inches across, this minature tank holds only a tiny fraction of the air in a heavy, full size SCUBA tank, enough for hours of diving fun.
Doesn't sound like the pictures we have. But it does sound interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom