Unknown device - what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation to make a joke.

Seriously, it looks like a surface supplied air source. Others on this forum are much more familiar and can maybe tell you much more.

waterwilly:
Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation to make a joke.

Seriously, it looks like a surface supplied air source. Others on this forum are much more familiar and can maybe tell you much more.
that´s what it is. Here in BArcelona took place this weekend the annual diving convention, and I saw the device, amazing.
They promote it as a family activity, of course only for shallow waters.

miguel sanz:
that´s what it is. Here in BArcelona took place this weekend the annual diving convention, and I saw the device, amazing.
They promote it as a family activity, of course only for shallow waters.
So, is it a tech-snorkeling device? :wink: How does it work?

There's an air compressor at the surface, and a "first stage" that delivers a constant pressure. The diver is usually breathing off a normal 2nd stage. There's also usually a harness that the surface hose connection is attached to to prevent pull on the 2nd stage.

We used to sell a few each year to people that were mining gold up in the Sierra's in California. Obviously, there's an entanglement factor that limits its use in certain areas.

That doesn't look like a normal 2nd stage coming from her mouth, but more like a tube. Given the size of the hose, and that it does not look like it could withstand 140psi, I would say that they are delivering the gas at the ambient pressure. I would love to inspect one of these, not that I would ever want to dive one... but I would like to look one over.

NetDoc:
That doesn't look like a normal 2nd stage coming from her mouth, but more like a tube. Given the size of the hose, and that it does not look like it could withstand 140psi, I would say that they are delivering the gas at the ambient pressure. I would love to inspect one of these, not that I would ever want to dive one... but I would like to look one over.

Doc, you're right. I didn't bother to enlarge the pics, but when I did, I see what you mean. It would have to be delivering air at *some* pressure greater than surface - but I don't know how it is determining what it should be. That pack on her chest might have something to do with it, but my guess is that this is severely depth-restricted.

Since I've never done it, I cannot say with 100% certainty. But with that said, I believe she is doing what is commonly called Snuba. It's a cross between Scuba and snorkeling in that you don't carry a tank like with Scuba but do have a supply of air provided to you. This is something that alot of resorts do for those who aren't certified for diving.

David

yoda4x4:
Since I've never done it, I cannot say with 100% certainty. But with that said, I believe she is doing what is commonly called Snuba. It's a cross between Scuba and snorkeling in that you don't carry a tank like with Scuba but do have a supply of air provided to you. This is something that alot of resorts do for those who aren't certified for diving.

David

I don't think so - all the Snuba units I've seen use a normal 2nd stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom