Suggestion University/DiveClub Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
F

FastAttack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Basicly a forum oriented to the college student diver

forum can start out small were college students kick back and talk about diving or their dreadful college experience ( almost like a lounge per say)

Information about Dive Clubs in universities that have in a sticky of some sort.

ie - University Name
- Advisor/Supervisor/Faculty point of contact
- Procedures in Contact
- Current Status ( ie membership)
- Basic Info of the dive club
- Website
- Instruction for new divers?

and so on.

Just an idea :wink:

This option's already available, FastAttack! It's basically just a club and group subforum. If you click into an existing geographic region's area (i.e. California), and look under the subforums, you'll see a variety of clubs and groups. If you'd like to set one up for your local university club, just ask the admins.

archman:
This option's already available, FastAttack! It's basically just a club and group subforum. If you click into an existing geographic region's area (i.e. California), and look under the subforums, you'll see a variety of clubs and groups. If you'd like to set one up for your local university club, just ask the admins.

yeah but .. the thing is that not every university is on here or doesn't even know about SB or doesn't have a rep to be in that section.. Essentially, if you want to find out you will end up digging for information like I did , or sorting through pages in the universities club listings ( which aren't updated as often either)

Ultimately for me MB is our dive club advisor , he essentially put me to the right place ,
in other words I want to have a gateway for any college student to find out if there is infact an active club in their university.

And as far as subgroup.. that would be great if the university has a website and they want to use SB as their backend forum.. I am not sure if netdoc would like to have more forums than what he has now :wink:

Being part of the most *active* university scuba club in Texas, I can say quite easily that often VERY long periods of club inactivity can and do happen. It's really up to the current selection of club officers as to how active they are, and university club officers tend to change every year or two. The high turnover rate generates a lot of apathy.

There really aren't that many university scuba clubs in the U.S., or at least ones that are relatively active and have large memberships. I think there's only about half a dozen in Texas, out of which only ours is really all that active, and we're one of the states with a high scuba diving interest.

I've actually tried convincing university student divers in Texas, California, and Florida to use ScubaBoard as an online diving resource and potential place to maintain a club website. The best I've achieved is that a few folks browse the boards here every once in a while, and that's it. There just wasn't very much interest. Everybody likes the idea, but nobody actually implements it. You know how college students are!

Even at the height of our own university club's "power", our in-house forum generated maybe a couple of postings a week, mostly from the same six or seven people. And we had over fifty members on our rosters. Nowadays, our enrollments about the same, but our forum gets a couple postings per month.

The best way I've found for a university student to see whether or no their school has a scuba program is the classical one; check the school's listing for extramural sports and clubs. Official university clubs are required to be on the books; these can be looked up online or via a visit to the local equivalent of the Student Center. Those records tend to be far more current than those found off of the club's indigenous website(s). Current officers are usually required to be listed (and with contact info), for one thing. Smaller universities aren't so particular about this, but then again, smaller schools don't tend to have large scuba diving clubs either.

Whether or no a club is actually active is far dicier. Activity can be high one year and drop off to nothing the next. Summers are normally "dead" for university clubs. Club websites may have "current" entries on them that are YEARS out of date.

archman:
Being part of the most *active* university scuba club in Texas, I can say quite easily that often VERY long periods of club inactivity can and do happen. It's really up to the current selection of club officers as to how active they are, and university club officers tend to change every year or two. The high turnover rate generates a lot of apathy.

There really aren't that many university scuba clubs in the U.S., or at least ones that are relatively active and have large memberships. I think there's only about half a dozen in Texas, out of which only ours is really all that active, and we're one of the states with a high scuba diving interest.

I've actually tried convincing university student divers in Texas, California, and Florida to use ScubaBoard as an online diving resource and potential place to maintain a club website. The best I've achieved is that a few folks browse the boards here every once in a while, and that's it. There just wasn't very much interest. Everybody likes the idea, but nobody actually implements it. You know how college students are!

Even at the height of our own university club's "power", our in-house forum generated maybe a couple of postings a week, mostly from the same six or seven people. And we had over fifty members on our rosters. Nowadays, our enrollments about the same, but our forum gets a couple postings per month.

The best way I've found for a university student to see whether or no their school has a scuba program is the classical one; check the school's listing for extramural sports and clubs. Official university clubs are required to be on the books; these can be looked up online or via a visit to the local equivalent of the Student Center. Those records tend to be far more current than those found off of the club's indigenous website(s). Current officers are usually required to be listed (and with contact info), for one thing. Smaller universities aren't so particular about this, but then again, smaller schools don't tend to have large scuba diving clubs either.

Whether or no a club is actually active is far dicier. Activity can be high one year and drop off to nothing the next. Summers are normally "dead" for university clubs. Club websites may have "current" entries on them that are YEARS out of date.

We have around 80+ members.. active well it depends on the dives we plan around 20-30 at a time can show up.
You are right about the leadership.. luckily the current leadership ( which somehow I got in it to as well ) is extremely great. and provide instruction ( I am doing Rescue in a few weeks with the club president ) which can develop future divers within the school or advance divers.
To bad that it doesn't happen to often , this is more of a luxury at the moment for us.

The ups and downs.. we had ours.. before I joined the club the FAU dive club was dead for at least a year.. even though it had a extensive history of being one of the most active dive clubs here in Florida

anyhow to the point

SB is a great resource just adding a suggestion. It might not be 100% just trying to figure out how to use SB as a resource for other university students to use if they do or don't have a club hehe

OT:

I wish there was a University Scuba Council like they do in the greek frats/sororities , so we could actually have meets across the USA and have fun diving :)

80 members?! Dang.

With so many members locally, I recommend you get yourselves set up as a club in the regional forums. It sure is a lot easier than maintaining a standalone website! You may wish to talk to your members first to see how much traffic they would actually generate... if your group isn't very chatty they might not even need a website.

In our area, if another school club wishes to do something with us, they'll just contact us directly. It doesn't happen very often, and I have yet to see an actual coordinated event yet take place. But if the club officers have enough chutzpah, they'll put forth the effort to do pretty much whatever they want.

archman:
80 members?! Dang.

With so many members locally, I recommend you get yourselves set up as a club in the regional forums. It sure is a lot easier than maintaining a standalone website! You may wish to talk to your members first to see how much traffic they would actually generate... if your group isn't very chatty they might not even need a website.

In our area, if another school club wishes to do something with us, they'll just contact us directly. It doesn't happen very often, and I have yet to see an actual coordinated event yet take place. But if the club officers have enough chutzpah, they'll put forth the effort to do pretty much whatever they want.

We have something called myfau.. which houses an inhouse forum..
but to get in you have to be a student/faculty/alumni to view it.

:)

most of the communication is done via "announcements" which can be viewed inside of the groups software or they get a reminder email.

The only reason why we want a website is to get users or future students info about the club.. :)

yeah 80+ members at the moment .. all current active students..

I just found out that one of the girls here and his BF go to University of Miami.. even though they are not officers of the club they are going to get me some info so I can contact them.

Hell I didn't even know UM had a dive club ( and i went there for a semester) lol

I will hopefully be going to U of Miami next school year. I have been looking at their dive club. It looks pretty active and I am very happy about that as I would like to do a ton of diving when I'm down there. I don't really know how I will get any work done with all of that great diving so close. I live right outside of DC so not used to really having much diving around. Closest quarry is about an hour and it is still a quarry. I would be interested in what you find out about the Miami scuba club as I will be very involved in it if I get into miami for next fall.

It is a pretty much regional sport club. I am not surprised at 80 members in FL based University. In Mid-west, even though there is a scuba club, there is only few active members. We also have a strong and well reputated underwater management program, but we don't have a club anymore. Simply, they can't afford it except the offical class and project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom