United red eye canceled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I just found out the red eye flights out of Newark and Houston to Bonaire on the first week of Jan have been canceled. That is going to be a lot of pissed off people. I just happened to notice it and never received an email. Post back if your flight got canceled.

The red-eye flights out of Houston have been replaced by afternoon flights. That is going to be a lot of happy people.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I always thought catching the Bonaire red-eye flights to sound good on paper but pretty stupid in reality! I vowed, never again!

I might be one of the happy people. I really hate red eye flights, especially before a dive trip.

I think I prefer the red-eye. It essentially gets you an extra day of diving. An afternoon flight will not get in until evening so briefing (and diving) will be the next day after your first of 7 nights. And, I assume the departure flight will leave late in the evening meaning you will have to clear out of your room early and essentially do the "red-eye" thing on your return flight. I guess the day before your return could be a full day of diving so that off-sets a bit. I sure will not be looking forward to watching the sun rise during the 3 hour drive home from Houston.

Last edited by a moderator:
The red-eye flights out of Houston have been replaced by afternoon flights. That is going to be a lot of happy people.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Great! Thanks for the up-date.

Newark flights in Jan and Feb are now offered on Sat AND Sun, departing at 8:29am and arriving at 2:29pm.

In March they are operating Fri, Sat, and Sun! (Morning departure at 9am.)

April and beyond goes back Saturday only, at 9am.

AM flight from EWR is better than previous red-eye in my book. Especially if staying someplace where check-in time is 3pm or so. Add in need to do park tag orientation/dive, and pretty much Saturday afternoon isn't much of a dive day anyway when you've been up for more than 24hrs. Plus, the return flight is now a 3:30pm departure. Previous schedule was Saturday AM, so you lost all day on your last Friday from a diving perspective. With a 3:30pm Sat departure you can easily get 4 dives in on Friday; I'd gladly give up a dead-tired afternoon dive on the Saturday of arrival in exchange for four nice dives on the last Friday of my trip.

Now, if only we can get United to restore service from Newark to Curaçao!

Last edited:
I just received an email from the owners of the condo we are staying at warning us of this. Our flight is on December 27th and has not changed.
Unbelievable that United gave you no notification of the change!

I just found out the red eye flights out of Newark and Houston to Bonaire on the first week of Jan have been canceled. That is going to be a lot of pissed off people. I just happened to notice it and never received an email. Post back if your flight got canceled.

United is NOT doing any notifications so if you have reservations call them. Had to do some scambling but will not miss the redeye flights. So overall happy but no call from United-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom