United plane change time needed in Newark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me, I'd rather sit in a small locked area than stand in yet another mile-long line to get my genitals x-rayed once again... I think in Miami we once got loaded on a bus that drove us around runways for what felt like forever (to get to another terminal without leaving the "secure area"). I'll take that over another TSA checkpoint anytime.
But you need to remember that immigration and TSA security lines are different things.

When we fly from Toronto to Houston we clear customs and immigration in Toronto prior to boarding the plane. We arrive at a domestic terminal outside of security. So we have to go through security again - with no access to a trusted traveller line.

Bonus in Houston is that once inside security you can easily move between all the terminals.

I never had a connection in Newark, so what do I know. Over here I know I'm better off flying to O'Hare and taking a bus or renting a car than clearing the border and customs at international terminal, dropping off the bag, going to domestic terminal and through security again to catch a 10-minute (plus an hour for take-off and landing) flight to Madison WI.

I see United sells a ticket with only 1 hr 10 minutes time between arrival from Bonaire and departure to Florida. Is it likely that anyone would make it? I assume one must do Immigration and Customs in Newark? Any other hurdles??
So, to get back to the OP's original question. If it were me, given that you live in Florida, I'd look for a flight from Bonaire to MIA, FLL or maybe even MCO and avoid a 1+10 connection in EWR althogether.

Last edited:
When we fly from Toronto to Houston we clear customs and immigration in Toronto prior to boarding the plane. We arrive at a domestic terminal outside of security. So we have to go through security again - with no access to a trusted traveller line.

Bonus in Houston is that once inside security you can easily move between all the terminals.

As another unrelated off-topic story, your arrangement with customs and immigration is good for you. Not so much for other people.

I've a co-worker who recently missed a conference because his flight arrived at domestic outside of security on Canadian side. It turned out he needed a proper Canadian visa to make his connecting flight. Thankfully it was our travel office who told him before approving his booking, not the helpful airline agent at the check-in counter -- but it was still too late to get the visa or to find another flight.

My experience with Newark customs was that the lines were horribly long and the process took way more than an hour ten - closer to two actually, maybe longer. Problem was a number of planes arrived at the same time. I would personally want three hours if I was making a connection.

My experience with Newark customs was that the lines were horribly long and the process took way more than an hour ten - closer to two actually, maybe longer. Problem was a number of planes arrived at the same time. I would personally want three hours if I was making a connection.
Agreed if you are not a trusted traveller.

Our longest wait was for our bags - about 15 minutes. During our baggage wait the customs lines grew all the way down the baggage claim hall - I think 2 other planes arrived just before us.

We zipped through the immigration line and customs line since there was no one else in the trusted traveller line. If you were not trusted traveller there were several hundred people in line in front of you.

Guess I don't understand the difference between Trusted Traveler and TSA-Pre with a Known Traveler Number. The latter don't buy you crap re. customs. What is Trusted Traveler?

Also, numerous airports don't even have TSA-Pre. Newark does (I think). Atlanta (one of the busiest hubs) does not (except for an hour or so on odd days). Go figure.

TSA PreCheck gets you into the special security line pre-flight.

Trusted Traveler gets you into the special immigration line when you get back, as available. Which is hopefully much shorter/quicker - typically you scan passport at a kiosk and answer the customs questions on the screen, and hopefully get to exit through a special customs line with no line.

Trusted Traveler also gets you TSA PreCheck.
TSA PreCheck does not get you Trusted Traveler.

Last edited:
TSA PreCheck gets you into the special security line pre-flight.

Trusted Traveler gets you into the special immigration line when you get back, as available. Which is hopefully much shorter/quicker - typically you scan passport at a kiosk and answer the customs questions on the screen, and hopefully get to exit through a special customs line with no line.

Trusted Traveler also gets you TSA PreCheck.
TSA PreCheck does not get you Trusted Traveler.
Pretty close...you forgot about Global Entry...

TSA is all about getting on a plane.

Global Entry is about getting off a plane.

In the US Global Entry involves your passport and a fingerprint scan. The Canadian version uses a Nexus card and an eyeball scan.

Trusted Traveller gets you both, outbound TSA precheck and inbound Global Entry.

Nexus is a higher level US / Canada thingy that includes trusted traveller and other special treatment at some land / sea border points. Nexus is good in Canada and the US.

We have Nexus cards. It has saved us many hours of waiting in line. I also get to keep my shoes on around the TSA peeps...

OK,,Gotta ask,,Has anyone ever had an on time departure out of Newark?? This is on the top of my list for avoid at all costs airports!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom