United plane change time needed in Newark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes they will be checked all the way through. It might depend on the airport and/or the airline.
Agreed. We do not see our bags when we travel via Houston (at least not 2 years ago).

I did this last week, bonaire Newark Toronto. All bags had to be claimed for everyone on our plane and a bunch of other incoming international flights, dragged thru customs and then rechecked for all connecting flights, both domestic and international. There were several hundred people in line trying to leave baggage claim (only 3 customs people). Zero people in the trusted traveller line.

Since we changed terminals we also had to go through security again.

worst that can happen is you spend the night in Newark, decide to go out somewhere to eat and get mugged or maybe killed. What are your choices besides eating in?
Actually there are some great little local restaurants in the ironbound. We got stuck in Newark for 3 days in the big snowstorm a few years back. Lots of snow and I had shorts, t shirts and sandals.

worst that can happen is you spend the night in Newark, decide to go out somewhere to eat and get mugged or maybe killed. What are your choices besides eating in?
Wtf? There are some great restaurants in and around Newark! Google....Iron Bound section.

Why would one fly from Bonaire to EWR and then to Fla? Why not fly direct to Fla..?

Why would one fly from Bonaire to EWR and then to Fla? Why not fly direct to Fla..?
More airline miles, more dives based upon a later departure time from Bonaire, more chances for airline food, the chance to get snowed in in lovely Newark, ...

The Newark plane leaves bonaire at 3:30, so it is very easy to dive Friday and sleep in on Saturday.

[
Wtf? There are some great restaurants in and around Newark! Google....Iron Bound section.

Yes, that was a bit strong. There are great restraurants and areas in Newark. And there are area to be avoided.

The reason you guys did not see your bags in the US is because you were flying to Canada, so the US cities were not the port of entry for you. For US travelers making a connection in the US, you will see your bags, go through customs, and have to recheck them.

The reason you guys did not see your bags in the US is because you were flying to Canada, so the US cities were not the port of entry for you. For US travelers making a connection in the US, you will see your bags, go through customs, and have to recheck them.
It all depends upon the airport. In Newark everybody has to claim their bag. in Houston we do not have to claim our bags.

Both Houston and Newark are a port of entry for us Canadians coming from the Caribbean on United. We go through immigration and customs and are free to roam about the US before we take our connecting flight.

I remember once long ago in Miami where we did not clear immigration. In transit passengers were kept in a small locked area until our connecting flight. We do not use Miami anymore...

If you are a US citizen clearing customs in the US you WILL have to wait for your checked bag and drag it through customs. We only carry on bags and have Global Entry. Customs is a pleasure.....you feel like a rock star passing everyone up.

Last edited:
I remember once long ago in Miami where we did not clear immigration. In transit passengers were kept in a small locked area until our connecting flight. We do not use Miami anymore...

Me, I'd rather sit in a small locked area than stand in yet another mile-long line to get my genitals x-rayed once again... I think in Miami we once got loaded on a bus that drove us around runways for what felt like forever (to get to another terminal without leaving the "secure area"). I'll take that over another TSA checkpoint anytime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom