United dinged me for the last time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another one in the camp of never flying United.

Had a liveaboard trip booked and the boat was leaving Sunday morning so we booked United to arrive Saturday. About three weeks before the trip I get a notice that my flight times had changed. My arrival flight had been “rescheduled “. Rescheduled to SUNDAY afternoon. A reschedule of 24 hours later.

I call and tell them that because they canceled my Saturday flight I would need a refund. They actually told me my flight was not canceled, it had been rescheduled. I said a 24 hour time change was considered as being rescheduled and they said yes. Eventually I got a full refund but I’ll never deal with them again as I had to go thru a full explanation of why I couldn’t arrive Sunday afternoon and had to explain what a liveaboard was.
One word: tripInsurance​

In that case no big deal as I just switched Airlines. DAN does offer an annual trip insurance policy that covers all your trips in that calendar year. The last few years I purchased it as I’ve been taking at least four trips a year.

In that case no big deal as I just switched Airlines. DAN does offer an annual trip insurance policy that covers all your trips in that calendar year. The last few years I purchased it as I’ve been taking at least four trips a year.
Agreed. We use an annual travel insurance product that includes medical, cancellation and interruption.

Two million miles and counting on United and still hate them the least of any airline. Helps when you have 2M on your card. Now...Continental used to be a great ride. I miss Bethune.

Does tripinsurance cover when the airline changes flights?

Well, I almost cancelled my trip. I finally decided that I'd take a chance and booked Delta one-way - 7 hours 49 minutes travel with a short stop in Atlanta. Took this flight down last time and it was fine. I splurged and went comfort because I'm most probably not going to do this again unless travel times change.

As of now I'm hanging in the wind for a return. All airlines are from 20+ to 72 plus hours. My one glimmer is flying Divi-Divi to Aruba (I'll have time to clear customs & easily get to my next flight) - Delta through Atlanta (2+ hour layover). Total travel time is about 14 hours but I won't have to clear customs in Atlanta and I won't be on a plane all over the US nor will I be in any airport/city overnight.

I can't book with Divi yet because they only take reservations about a month out. I'm looking into other options to get to Aruba as well (Winair looks good too).

One other thing I'm looking at. I could fly Winair from Bonaire to Dominica and stay there for 5 days and take American back - about 11½ hours with 2X - 2 hour layovers.

EDIT: Guess that's out. Just looked for places to book and Castle Comfort/Dive Dominica are still closed indefinitely. Buddy dive closed permanently so no dive shop at Fort Young Hotel.

Guess I'll look at some of the other places that Winair flies and see if extending my vacation at any of those would work.

Last edited:
We are changing our approach somewhat and are investigating flying from one dive destination to the next. Maybe we can find better flights from Cozumel or Puerto Vallarta than we can from California. Unfortunately that might mean being gone for a month or more. In that case I'll have to hire someone to mow my lawn and the airport parking is going to be a killer.

We are changing our approach somewhat and are investigating flying from one dive destination to the next. Maybe we can find better flights from Cozumel or Puerto Vallarta than we can from California. Unfortunately that might mean being gone for a month or more. In that case I'll have to hire someone to mow my lawn and the airport parking is going to be a killer.

Get someone to drive you to & from the airport or take a taxi. Surely that would be cheaper than parking for a month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom