United dinged me for the last time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. Looks like Delta with a stay of a day or so in Atlanta. Any other ideas of must see things in Atlanta? Might as well enjoy it if I have to stay over.

It's a bit more money but I don't have to fly all over the country to go from the northeast to Bonaire and back. I can't book the flights myself because the website doesn't allow for a stopover in the middle of the route. I'll have to talk to an agent once I figure out how long I want to stay in Atlanta.

The thing that Pi$$e$ me off about United is that their hub is Huston but they list good flights that don't go through the hub. And then, once you book, they cancel the non-hub flight and route you through Huston and from there all over hell and back. It's plain bait and switch.

The logistics of flights as well as the costs of it have led to us writing off a return to Bonaire. For the second time this year, we are heading to Curacao on a direct flight out of Toronto, 3 of us round trip, and exit isle seats (spacious) for $1,500 USD total. WestJet....

I would have to second the comments made by @Dogbowl. Depending on where you are in Upstate NY, you may be able to get good flights, possibly even non-stops out of Toronto (CYYZ), Ottawa (CYOW), or, if you live near Albany or even the Adirondacks, perhaps out of Montreal (CYUL).

It may be worth the drive to one of these airports. (You may be able to save time, but whether or not you save any money is a good question. It may come down to a matter of what you value more, money or time.)

FWIW, I lived in Rome,NY for several years, and I would sometimes drive up to Toronto to fly non-stop, rather than to fly out of SYR with a 12 hour lay-over in EWR or JFK.

I have to investigate Curacao. Though I love (and know like the back of my hand) Bonaire, maybe Curacao would be an alternative. The only thing that gives me pause is that every inquiry I made re. solo shore diving was met by abosolute NO we won't rent tanks to solo divers, you need to have your buddy here to get tanks, we don't allow that, etc. I need the Bonaire idea of unlimited air and let me dive.

Curacao does not hold a candle to Bonaire with regard to diving. I was planning a trip to Bonaire in late summer from EWR but the airline pricing, lack of non-stops and general paucity of options getting there made me rethink Bonaire. As divers, we represent a teeny weeny minority of travelers and airlines could not (justifiably) give a fig about us.

I had a beautiful trip to Bonaire planned - until yesterday morning. I got an email from United saying "sorry, we effed you over again". Travel went from one short plane change in Newark to a flight from Albany, to Huston, to Washington, to Bonaire with longish layovers. But that's not the worst. Coming back they gave me all of 7 minutes to clear customs and make my next flight in Newark. Are you kidding me?????

After a long phone call with a representative whose final answer was "Sorry, those are the only available flights. But for your returning flight you can stay in Newark until late the next day. Only a 20+ hour layover". To be fair, he did look at flights on different days - but no joy.

I cancelled the flights and got a refund. I am cancelling my United credit card. I will never, ever, under any circumstances fly United again. This is the third time they effed me over.

I'm back to trying to book flights with reasonable flight times. I can get there OK. Getting back home is the problem. I may have to stay in Atlanta an extra day and go to the aquarium unless I can come up with something creative. That or cancel the Bonaire trip altogether and eat the $225 Hamlet Oasis reservation.
What time of year / day of week? We fly Toronto Houston Bonaire and have never had problems. If it is short notice then there may not be any available seats unless you are willing to travel a day early or late.

This is what trip insurance is for...

What time of year / day of week? We fly Toronto Houston Bonaire and have never had problems. If it is short notice then there may not be any available seats unless you are willing to travel a day early or late.

This is what trip insurance is for...

Booked 11 months in advance. That's not short notice. And if I wanted to fly all over the US (Albany => Huston => Chicago => Washington => Bonaire)I would have booked that. I did not. I booked Albany => Newark => Bonaire.

and how has that worked for you?

Obviously United effed me - so not flying them again - or did you not read the thread? =====> Ignore

The logistics of flights as well as the costs of it have led to us writing off a return to Bonaire. For the second time this year, we are heading to Curacao on a direct flight out of Toronto, 3 of us round trip, and exit isle seats (spacious) for $1,500 USD total. WestJet....
Same here. Third trip to CUR planned after taking 4 trips to BON. Nonstop flight from JFK for under $350 with a bag. Arrive in time to pick up rental, hit the supermarket, check in and get a dive in before dinner. Bon flights limited and expensive. Jet Blue is flying to Cur Mon, Wed and Sat nonstop from JFK. Can't be beat.

Back
Top Bottom