"Unique" dive op in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tips folks... I had forgotten about the ever-present currents there, until I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it last night! (Ya, I plan dive trips in my sleep... not bad, eh?) And you're right, it does sometimes limit the photo options...

Thanks for the tips folks... I had forgotten about the ever-present currents there, until I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it last night! (Ya, I plan dive trips in my sleep... not bad, eh?) And you're right, it does sometimes limit the photo options...
An exception to that is Colombia Shallows. Usually there is little to no current there and many times we don't necessarily stay together as a group when we dive there. There is usually lots of macro opportunity there.

The currents really vary from site to site and even from day to day, plus there are lots of places you can duck behind a rock to get a shot. To say that photography is difficult in Cozumel is not fair; and the multitudes of great photographs and great videos that exist prove that. Colombia shallows is a photographer's dream, as ggunn mentioned.

But, the solo diving bit is another story, you'll probably need to work that out with the dive op over some time; a good alternative, but a bit pricey, would be to hire a DM to follow you around rather than stay with the group.

My experience with most Cozumel DMs is that they're very accommodating and want to make sure that everyone has a great dive experience. But, they are often put in charge of a diverse group that includes very inexperienced divers that need some hand-holding, in conditions that can be a little challenging for new divers. Actually, it's impressive how chill they typically are. Must be that great office......

Yep, what he said, in addtion to Gordon's list I'd add Bottom Time Divers, he has the rest of my top reco's. on his list.

By marine park regulations, you have to dive with a DM in the Marine park. If the reason for solo diving is so you can dive your own profile (stop as long as you want to take a picture) and make sure you don't have other divers in the background, then not an issue, just hire a private DM and let him/her know exactly what you expect from them.

Staying in town will limit your choice of dive ops unless you're willing to drive/take a cab to go to Caleta (the small marina south of town).
Ops that pick up in town and might fit your needs include Aldora, Blue XT Sea and Living Underwater. Depending on the season, though, they might be busy, so best to check with them if they can offer the type of private diving you describe.

Another recommandation would be Dive Cooperative, created a few months ago by a former instructor of Aldora, Sherief. They specialize in custom trips and offer interesting packages (Cozumel from South to North for those who want to make sure they get to dive all the main sites, the special Eagle Ray trip focusing on… eagle rays, etc.). Maybe drop them a line and see what they can offer.

I just got back yesterday from Cozumel and I dove with Blue Magic. They are a small shop a few blocks from the main touristy strip. I did 8 dives with them and I brought all my camera gear with me as well. They were really accommodating with it. Right after the first dive they were comfortable with my buoyancy control and let me wander and stay back a bit to take photos and shoot video. And when we were on the boat the DM would leave it completely up to the divers what location we wanted to dive at which was great! Small boats too with usually around 6 divers plus the dive master.

How totally thoughtless of me not to add Albatros Charters (albatroscharters.com) to the list of "unique" dive ops. Rita is the best at making divers feel welcomed and that they get the most out of their dive experience with a buddy or solo. They do not get much press on this forum but that does not mean its not great company, far from it. Its well worth giving her a call or email to see exactly what she can do to make your Cozumel dive experience the best it can be. We have been diving with Albatros for many years and love that we can decide just were to dive, have no time limits other than our air consumption and dive use bigger tanks if we wish and just enjoy the day with a great crew on a fast boat.

Thanks everyone. I have been in touch with a couple of the operators you suggested and they sound perfect...

Now, if anyone has any suggestions as to how I break the news to Mrs. Stoo that I am heading away without her, that would also be appreciated.

I tried the "Well, one of us has to work..." approach and it didn't actually work as well as I expected. I even promised to get her a nice T-shirt... :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom