"Unique" dive op in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am looking at a solo trip somewhere this winter. I haven't been to Coz in about 15 years, and my impression is that it has become very busy, with large boats and large crowds... and that the diving is still pretty good.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards an operator that runs a small "boutique" operation... small boats, sites that are away from the crowds. Someone who is photographer-friendly and maybe even "solo" friendly...

Thanks for your help!

Stoo

Your impression is incorrect with respect to dive vs. cruise boats. There are many, many ops that would fit your requirements. Best recommendations (for your convenience) depend somewhat on where on the island you're staying.

Well that's good to hear! I always loved Cozumel!

I have no firm plans to stay anyplace, but would prefer someplace close to town, and someplace where I don't have to walk far to get to a boat. I schlep a camera system that's about the size of a Toyota... :wink:

A nice small dive op with a friendly small hotel is Roberta's Dive Eco Cozumel. I go there on my own frequently. I don't know how they'll react to someone new diving solo; any responsible dive op is going to want to check you out carefully, and to be honest diving solo is a whole different world than responsible buddy diving, particularly in the currents and open ocean environment. I've encountered new divers there, some very experienced and excellent divers, and all manner of divers in between. I've rarely found an insta-buddy that was a problem, but there has been an occasional exception, in which case the working DM stepped in. I would be very hesitant to solo dive without good training and at the very least a reasonable alternate air source, like a 19cft pony. It's a complicated issue; just carrying the pony does not a solo diver make. The hotel (village tankah) is a small hacienda-style bed and breakfast with only 8 rooms. So, you get to know the other folks staying and diving there. There are many, many other small dive ops as well, I'm sure lots of people will chime in with their favorites as well.

Thanks Halocline... I will check out that place. With regard to solo diving, (and not to hijack my own thread), that is about the only kind of diving I do... Mostly in the Great Lakes, and always with redundant gear. Most of our diving here is in the 110 - 200' range, freezing cold (39F) and very rough much of the time. I would certainly expect to be checked out... I agree completely, that the card doesn't mean squat!

I also like staying at Roberta's Dive eco Cozumel stay there all the time. In fact I will be staying there Nov 19-23, her place is a real easy operation to use and enjoy.

I am looking at a solo trip somewhere this winter. I haven't been to Coz in about 15 years, and my impression is that it has become very busy, with large boats and large crowds... and that the diving is still pretty good.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards an operator that runs a small "boutique" operation... small boats, sites that are away from the crowds. Someone who is photographer-friendly and maybe even "solo" friendly...

Thanks for your help!

Stoo
There are lots of ops who run small boats; in fact it's more the norm than large boats. As for the dive sites, the ops pretty much all go to the same ones, but the good news is that there are so many sites that it's not that often that you'll even see another group at depth.

Some more ops that you might check out who run small boats and get consistently good reviews:
Blue Angel
BlueXTSea
Dive With Martin
Aldora
Living Underwater
Opal's Dream (formerly Scuba Mau)
Papa Hog's

I think you need to have a DM with you in the marine park area and can't dive solo. Others can say if this is true or not, but if so then you could hire a private DM for yourself and then "solo" to do your photography.
This is what I have seen a couple of times.
I think on most boats, they want people to stay somewhat together.
It is hard to do photography on a drift dive, because the group is moving with the current and if you stay still for that shot the group will be long gone.

There are lots of ops who run small boats; in fact it's more the norm than large boats. As for the dive sites, the ops pretty much all go to the same ones, but the good news is that there are so many sites that it's not that often that you'll even see another group at depth.

Some more ops that you might check out who run small boats and get consistently good reviews:
Blue Angel
BlueXTSea
Dive With Martin
Aldora
Living Underwater
Papa Hog's

This new company is just that a new company. Formerly would imply the same employees and owners. It is a different op now. It is minus several employees that where key to the old company. Opals dream is different now with respect to the old Scubamau. It would be good just to say Opals Dream and leave Scubamau off the inference. Scubamau is now run by Mau, solo. He does have other dive masters. He is doing quite well too.

This new company is just that a new company. Formerly would imply the same employees and owners. It is a different op now. It is minus several employees that where key to the old company. Opals dream is different now with respect to the old Scubamau. It would be good just to say Opals Dream and leave Scubamau off the inference. Scubamau is now run by Mau, solo. He does have other dive masters. He is doing quite well too.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ggunnThere are lots of ops who run small boats; in fact it's more the norm than large boats. As for the dive sites, the ops pretty much all go to the same ones, but the good news is that there are so many sites that it's not that often that you'll even see another group at depth.

Blue Angel
BlueXTSea
Dive With Martin
Aldora
Living Underwater
Papa Hog's

yes i agree saying they are formally scuba mau would be like one of my former employeys saying they where formally johns builders i am a scuba mau original and i wish opals dream would take my photo off their page i am not a opals dream origanal. i still dive with scuba mau aka maurizio toreli and will contiue to do so.

as for wanting a custom trip i like mau he can do it for you he has done some vidio work and could lead you to some great shots and stay out of your way he is a very strait up guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom