Underwhelmed by Oahu Dive Op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblin_girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just returned from a fantastic 8 day trip to Hawaii. The final island stop on the trip was Oahu. Based on recommendations, I choose to dive with Diamond Head Divers while in Waikiki. Boy was that a bad decision. Everything from the moment I stepped foot on the dock had me completely underwhelmed with this dive operation.

Firstly, the crew seemed to be inconvenienced taking divers out. Upon arriving at the boat, we were made to feel as if we were a burden to the crew. No introductions were made and no instructions regarding the boat/gear/procedures were given.

Secondly, when I inquired as to where we would be diving, I received a half-hearted "Dunno" response. When I suggested making a wreck dive, like the YO-257, the sarcastic, but completely serious, comment "You're gonna make me go there?" took me by surprise. Needless to say, I felt that I was putting out the crew by suggesting a dive site. (We ultimately did end up diving there due to a lack of other suggestions.)

Finally, I was specifically bothered by the fact that the DM tried a few times to have me take a 63 cu ft tank in lieu of a 80 cu ft for the first dive (our deep dive!). At first, I joked with the DM that they were passing off a 'pony tank' charging me the same price as a 80 cu ft tank. But he tried two more times to have me take this tank. Refusing to take the tank, the DM commented that he'll have to take the tank. I personally took offense to the fact that they thought because i'm a smaller female diver that they could try to pass this tank off on me.

I'm not a dive novice nor am I a 1000+ seasoned dive professional but i've been on my fair share of dive boats and dive trips. This, by far, was the most underwhelming experience I've had on any of my dive excursions. They were unhelpful, lacked knowledge about dive sites and marine life and generally seemed disinterested in the diving.

The dive site briefings were anything but informative. In fact, I had no idea that there was another wreck about 50 yards away from the YO-257 until the DM decided to guide us over there about 5 minutes before the end of the dive! Back on the boat, I asked the DM and boat captain about marine life I had seen on the dive. The DM was clueless and the boat captain seemed totally uninterested almost bothered by my questions.

After the first dive, my dive buddy and I agreed we'd find another dive op for our other diving days as soon as we hit dry land. We choose to dive with Aqua Zone in lieu of Diamond Head Divers.

Needless to say, I would not recommend this dive op if you plan on diving on Oahu/Waikiki area.

Other than that one day out diving with Diamond Head Divers, we had a stellar time while we were there. We didn't let that one experience get us down. Made the best of the situation at the time and then moved on.

Thanks for the kind words!

Always sad to hear of days like that - I guess every crew has "bad" days, and hopefully that was all it was - but it leaves a foul taste in the mouth of the guests they had the opportunity to "WOW" with a wonderful dive trip.

At least on Maui it's more common to find a good op, even by chance, just due to the competition - I wonder if Oahu is that way as well?

Aloha, Tim

Bummer about the dive operation but glad that ya'all enjoyed the rest of your trip and that you didn't let that one incident bring down the rest of your diving or vacation. Props to you gals!! Like someone said we all have our bad days, I hope I was never like that, but I do remember being a new dive master and someone asking me about the dive site, I was embarrassed because I hadn't dove that site before and knew nothing about it. I was really going on as an extra pair of eyes for the instructor/DM actually leading the tour. I know, no excuse, but I can understand how that happens. Anyways hopefully ya'all will return to our beautiful islands to do more diving in the future and check out the other islands and many of the other amazing dive sites that this state boasts.

Hopefully you'll post a report on the rest of your trip, sounds like a great one (besides the one unpleasant boat/crew).

Hopefully you'll post a report on the rest of your trip, sounds like a great one (besides the one unpleasant boat/crew).

Ditto!

Back
Top Bottom