Underwear Revisited - The Warmest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Rick,

Can you summarize what you've tried thus far and what your impressions of each were? Did you ever get to try the Weezle Extreme Plus?

So Rick,

Can you summarize what you've tried thus far and what your impressions of each were? Did you ever get to try the Weezle Extreme Plus?
Never got around to the weezles. My buddies both dive weezles, and after looking at the construction and talking to them I went with the MK3. One of my buddies had extra diamonds stitched into the underarms on his weezles so he could get a good reach – without which they seem a bit constrictive. Also, everyone set of well used weezles I’ve seen have little rips and tears in them. And finally, I wanted to see if I could make a purchase through my LDS if possible, and they carry the MK3. They are so good to me (I have a key and code and 24/7/365 access to gas and tools and inventory), and I’ve been spending a lot of $ on line lately, so I wanted to support them.

Besides, the MK3 was so darned warm! Much warmer than the fleece I currently have and the Xerotherm.

I also ordered the Otter bay custom 12mm hood, and it was shipped yesterday.

I sent my drysuit to Superior for new boots and zipper today. The new boots will add a little length to the legs, which should also help with reach.

Never heard of nor seen the MK3 until your post. Good luck with it. Looks alot like the Weezle E+ with a few modifications/improvements. I noticed it has a '2-way zippered rear convenience panel.' What's that for? :D

I sent my drysuit to Superior for new boots and zipper today. The new boots will add a little length to the legs, which should also help with reach.
Be sure to ask for the old boots back- they make a nice set of boots for kicking around! :wink:

I noticed it has a '2-way zippered rear convenience panel.' What's that for? :D
The dive shop owner tried to show me last night, but I got away just in time!:11:

New MK3 being sent on Monday!

Have to talk to YKK about that zipper...

Tyler
.....Lovin' that bum zip for "one of those days"

I was looking forward to your review of the weezle. Not to often one person test so many undergarments. Oh well I will be diving my weezle tomorrow and will post what I think of it.
Ron L.

Rick,

which under armour are you using?

There were a couple of mentions but not much attention to UA. Since it isn't made exclusively for diving, maybe some guys aren't familiar with it. I'm a high school teacher and it is all the rage with high school/college athletes.

I just bought a new set of Under Armour a few weeks ago. I've made several dives in the 38-43 degree F range and haven't been cold yet.

Here's what I'm wearing:
Under Armour Extreme Weather Base 3.0 pants
Under Armour Coldgear Metal Shirt
Cheap drysuit undergarment (don't know weight, bought it used for $30, when turned inside, looks like I skinned a wookie), probably the equiv. of 100 or 200 gr thinsulate
Viking arctic socks.
7 mil hood
5 mil wet gloves (dry gloves on order)

That's it, not bulky at all, great range of movement.

I've made several dives around 1 1/2 hour with them and don't get cold. I'm a warm guy and don't get cold easily but the Under Armour has definately added warmth and comfort to my diving. It is a bit pricy for underwear ($150 from Cabela's) but it is machine washable and extremely thin. I didn't need to add any weight to my belt.

I was looking forward to your review of the weezle. Not to often one person test so many undergarments. Oh well I will be diving my weezle tomorrow and will post what I think of it.
Ron L.

I was hoping to see Rick's comparison of Weezle, too, but yours will do. :D

There's no way I'd complain or want to replace my Weezle Extreme Plus.... Today I was testing its limits in 38F water by doing some long dives (2h 10min and 1h 20min).

I wore it over 100 wt polypropylene and used a thick fleece chest pad. Hands, feet and head have to be well-covered, too, of course.

No cramps and no significant coldness in the torso, arms or legs!

Even for a guy like me who gets cold easily, it works very well!

Please post how you like yours. :)

Dave C

Has anyone tried the Bare Hi-Loft Polarware Extreme or Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate Extreme? I've tried them both briefly at the LDS, on different days. The Bare felt warm enough, but when I tried the TPS Thinsulate Extreme, I was burning up and almost passed out trying to get out of the suit. The thing was these were on different days, so I don't know if the difference was in the suits, the ambient temp, or my own condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom