Underwater water bottle???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if you could put a Platypus bag or CamelPak in the Halcyon backplate cover... that's if the pocket wasn't upside down... I reckon a 2.2L size partially filled would slip in there nicely, and you could route the drinking hose alongside of the LP inflator hose and have the drinking end come out near the inflator - nice and streamlined :tease:

Might have to do something about the wingnuts and bolts poking holes in it though.

I had a SCUDA for many years. I no longer use it. I LOVED being able to drink UW. I get a bit dehydrated diving, no matter how much water I drink beforehand. My throat also gets very dry.

I found that apple juice was the best drink for the SCUDA. No pulp, no bubbles, no alchohol allowed. The apple juice quenched my thirst, took away that lousy salt water taste, and the bit of sugar in it gave me a little energy rush.

However, the SCUDA was a complicated piece of equipment that failed too many times. It just became too much of a PITA to be worth it.

I DO miss the UW drink though, and would love to see a simple bottle type solution that could be carried in a pocket or clipped on.

Gerry

Zept once bubbled...
Came across this gizmo this morning: Sea Pump

I wonder if it works well. I would say that a dry throat/mouth is probably my number 1 irritant while diving. I have tried the candy thing, tucking the mint in my cheek area - doesn't work. My dry throat usually ends up causing a gagging reflex while underwater - not pleasant. I have been known to let salt water into my mouth in small amounts just to avoid the gag reflex.

Its all I have ever used. Pull reg out of mouth, put in camelbak end, suck, replace reg, and repeat.

I just attach mine to the left side of my body with the existing straps which happen to have quick disconnects.

Dave

I use a 500ml camel back bag only and it works fine. The water bag goes in my BCD pocket and the hose gets attached to my BCD inflator hose. When I want a drink, out goes the reg, in goes the bite mouthpiece, take a drink and back out again.

This system is cheap (you don't need the full camel back system, just the bag and hose), neat, and works very well.

Cheers.

Update:
Sorry, Dave (below) is right, it's not the Camel Back I use, it's a Platypus bag and hose. MUCH cheaper....

I use the Mule but that is overkill for diving-just happens to be the only one I have. One of the cheap 70 ouncers will work great. If you go through that much you are working too hard and your drysuit isn't dry anymore. I haven't tried a Platypus but like Canuck was saying all you need is the bladder and tube if you have some way to store it. If you do some hiking get a good one with pockets and then it can do both hobbies.

Dave

We recently spent 3 days u/w, (71:39:40 to be exact), and we used the bike bottles with the pop-up caps. They work swell, as do bottled water with the same type cap. Also, they can be frozen before the dive, (and thaw very quickly), to provide LOTS of coldwater.
Have you considered: 1.A second stage that is totally metal? 2. A Zeagle second stage with metal "guts"? 3. A Sherwood model above the Magnum level designed especially for this purpose? 4.One of the (Apollo?) hose inserts that moisturizes your inhaled air? 5.Scuda, if they are still available?
Just some thoughts....

Back
Top Bottom