Underwater water bottle???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

souren

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am new to this forum so if my question has already been asked I apologise.

I have been diving in the med for a couple of years now and want to know if there is any kind of water bottle I can take with me when diving.

My mouth gets awfully dry during dives and I wondered if anyone had invented some sort of squeezy bottle with some kind of valve so I can take a sip of water while diving?

in fact, I remember seeing something like that at the Scuba Show in Long Beach, not this past June, but in June 2001. I can't remember what it is called, but if I come across it, I'll let you know.

I'm told (by a reliable source) that it is possible to drink a juice box underwater (I haven't tried it). The trick is to insert the straw (which should be unwrapped before the dive if wearing gloves). Then quickly drink the entire 8 ounce box without stopping. A little salt water gets in the box when the straw is inserted, but not too much. If you try to stop drinking and start again a good deal of salt water will enter the box.

This page has a picture of divers drinking, page down to the middle.
http://www.oceanicresearch.org/dolphintrip.htm

Ralph

The SCUDA (Self-Contained Underwater Drinking Apparatus) is one option. It is essentially a drink bag with a hose and special mouthpiece which replaces your current mouthpiece on your regulator.

Another option for dry mouth is the Apollo Bio Filter. It is an in-line filter that attaches between your first stage and your second stage hose. It contains a filter which you saturate with distilled water before you dive. The dry air coming from your tank is somewhat humidified as it passes through this device.

A few regulators claim to assist by placing thin metal vents in the regulator body. As you exhale, some of the moisture in your breath condenses on the vents, and is then evaporated by the incoming dry air with your next breath. It helps "reclaim" some of the moisture in your exhaled breath.

Check at your local hiking/backpacking/camping or possibly cycling store. There's a product called (at least under one tradename) a CamelPak.

Basically it's a heavy duty plastic bag, with an attached hose, and the hose has a bite-valve on the end of it.

Because the bag is flexible, there's no worries about pressure issues or air-spaces, and it will be basically neutral-buoyant.

I don't know how good the bite-valve would be for extended immersion. I know that it's (on land) good enough to stop the thing from leaking though.

Jamie

Platex Nursers are pressure balanced liquid sources. Simply slighlty enlarge the nipple hole and plug with toothpick stub plug.

To use it grab the nipple and seal it with your with lips, pull plug with teeth and drink, then reinsert plug. Even if the plug is not reseated the pressure balanced aspect makes it unlikely to gain much seawater.

You do have to put up with bunnies and duckies on your scuba gear though, unless of course you own a belt sander. :devilish:

FT

A regular water bottle works just fine if you have the spout, just drink some water, and close the spout without letting the suction suck any outside water.
I know someone that gets a starburst, chews it, then lines his lower gums with it, and when he is dry, he chews on the candy (have to wonder about cavities on that one tho).
Ranz

If there is an easy way to drink water underwater, it should be a standard part of every diver's gear. Considering that dehydration is a risk factor for DCS, and that divers can become dehydrated on dives, shouldn't we all drink water during the dive if it could reduce our risk of DCS?

I'm not sure how I would mount a CamelPak. Any ideas? Is the SCUDA a real product? Does anyone know where to find one?

Back
Top Bottom