Underwater videography -- What a challenge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
On my belt?

Suit Heater, and my normal can light. The Can light is on and clipped to my right d-ring in case I need it to signal. (You can see it hanging down in the picture)

The two battery packs that drive the video light are attached to the bottom of the video housing.

Ah, yes ... upon closer inspection, I can see the clipped off primary light. Out of curiosity, do you ever use the video lights for signaling ?

So, when are you gonna be ready for another Yukon dive ... test out that fancy new rig of yours in our tropical So Cal waters ? :D

JeffG:
Yea yea yea. Yuk it up, surfer boy.

But I'm using my camera now. (Mind you...those are Nadwidny's video lights I was using)

Its Easier to hold "up" than to hold down. Its a more "natural" feeling.

and when you are not using the camera it hangs down out of the way, instead of floating into stuff. (I hang mine from the crotch ring)

I did one dive with a positive stills camera and ... clipped it off to my left D-ring and spent the whole ascent trying to swat it out of my face! Maybe if you have a good way of clipping it off it is workable.

riguerin:
Ah, yes ... upon closer inspection, I can see the clipped off primary light. Out of curiosity, do you ever use the video lights for signaling ?

So, when are you gonna be ready for another Yukon dive ... test out that fancy new rig of yours in our tropical So Cal waters ? :D

video lights suck for signaling

1) too bright and blind buddies
2) they dont penetrate very far
3) you have to overcome the momentum of the housing and cannot really signal very "fast"

PerroneFord:
I'm sure I can rig up something suitable with cave line and snapbolts! :)

Question to all of you who shoot underwater. How do you monitor your image?? I am using a Canon ZR200 in an Ikelite housing and the viewfinder is SO small, I can't even see what I am getting edge to edge with the rig held nearly up to my eye. At arm's distance, it's just a "best guess". Anything out there to make this easier?

The Light & motion bluefin housing for FX1 exposes the camera's natice LCD and viewfinder. Both work well, but I have noticed that what is on the tape seems not as bright as the LCD.

You can swing the LCD panel out? Or is the LCD Panel in the back? The viewfinder on my DVX100 is probably 5x the size of the one on the Canon ZR200. I'll probably have to go with the mirror.

PerroneFord:
You can swing the LCD panel out? Or is the LCD Panel in the back? The viewfinder on my DVX100 is probably 5x the size of the one on the Canon ZR200. I'll probably have to go with the mirror.

Sony did a majestic thing with the Z1/FX1 (for U/W users anyway) which I dont think they have done with their other cameras (maybe will not do again)

The LCD is actually on top of the camera in the middle (it does twist out but not when in the housing). L&M put a clear window on top of the housing so you get direct access to the LCD.

This is what made it (somewhat) affordable for me -- not having to pony up $1400 for the external monitor.

Oh SNAP! I forgot about that feature. Makes sense now.

Question to all of you who shoot underwater. How do you monitor your image?

If it is a shot that I really want. I have started holding the housing against my mask and second stage while preering through the tiny little veiw finder on my amphibico. It seems to help with some of the arm shakes too, Although not comfortable its doable for a short while.I tend to cut off the bottom half of the subject when looking over the top.

I once filmed a whole dive with the camera fully zoomed.The first time I saw a six gill shark I filmed most of the encounter with a droopy flip filter.
Even though it sucks I highly suggest at least a check on each shot.
Happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom