Underwater videography -- What a challenge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I did some of the videotaping for the Fundies class this weekend. I used my Olympus 720 on video mode (which isn't really videography, so I'm sorry if this should be elsewhere, but it was continuous photography).

What a challenge! Maintaining buoyancy and trim while staying focused through the lens, even when we got up into very shallow water (for a while, I was swimming at 5 fsw), and in visibility which started poor and got worse with our shenanigans, was a real test of skills. Trying to maneuver around the class divers without getting in their way, and without getting in the way of the "main" videographer (with a REAL video camera) put a stress on my back kick, and trying to "read" what the students were doing so I could move BEFORE the footage became useless was a wild exercise in trying to take pictures AND see what was in the viewfinder.

I've done a bunch of videotaping of horses in the past, and I had learned that you can't "watch" the horse and do a good job taping; you have to focus on the quality of the picture (centering, focus, angle, etc.) Here, I couldn't do that, because I had to remain aware of what was happening because it was likely to happen right over the top of me if I didn't!

Anyway, it was great fun, much harder than I thought it would be, and left me with the desire to do it again.

Lynne I'd agree with that. Over time your skills will improve if you keep taping. :) I frequently tape new OW students in the pool...maintaining buoyancy and trim in 4ft of water while taping can be a challenge. :D

Ben, no samples! She may be the Borg Queen but I'm the 'Puter Master!

OK, who knows, maybe she will put some clips up. Hmmm, maybe my pathetic valve drill where, instead of purging my backup, I hit the suit inflate button. Needless to say, my precarious bouyancy was NOT helped.

This might contradict what you are teaching in class, but when shooting video, I find it more comfortable to trim feet down body vertical. In this position I can keep the camcorder more still and it's easier to see what's going on around me while holding position.

Adjusting my housing buoyancy to neutral also helps a lot. If the housing is negative, holding it out in front of your face will mess with your trim. You can attempt to adjust, but that creates tension and shaky video

Staying still is my biggest challenge with video. People complain my movies make them seasick :D

I was actually very pleased with being able to get some long segments without any seasick-inducing movement at all. But my camera is absolutely neutral, and compared with a "real" video camera, also quite small.

If I'd gone vertical to film during a Fundies class, I think the instructor would have had a stroke . . .

TSandM:
I was actually very pleased with being able to get some long segments without any seasick-inducing movement at all. But my camera is absolutely neutral, and compared with a "real" video camera, also quite small.

If I'd gone vertical to film during a Fundies class, I think the instructor would have had a stroke . . .

Ha Ha stroke I get it:rofl3: :rofl3:
No pun intended I'm sure.

Anyway congrads on the video time.
I have found that running a video camera will improve your regular diving skills to a great degree, Sit awareness gets better and the task loading is great practice.

dive safe,
Milo

If going vertical is too extreme, may I suggest a fin pivot?

:wink:

Shooting with a small camera is very difficult, since the slightest movement is greatly exaggerated. If you had moments of stillness, I would call it a success.

I agree completely with what everyone has said. I often see things for the first time when reviewing the footage, just because my focus was elswhere even when holding a shot.
The only thing I can add is after a while it feels as though you are an extension of the camera. Before you know it all your movements are done automatically with respect to keeping the steady shot. Kicking techniques that eliminate hip movement or rotation is a big key to steady shooting while swimming.

scubadrewvideo:
Kicking techniques that eliminate hip movement or rotation is a big key to steady shooting while swimming.

You mean like frog kicks and keeping in a prone position?
:D

Back
Top Bottom