Underwater Smartphone Housings (Easydive Leo3 vs CarbonArm DiveShot)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheCoolBeans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been like a bookworm with the specs of each of these 2 camera housings... Im 99% sure I'm going to buy one or the other but feel like i need to hear some 'real world' pros and cons from people that have actually used one or the other.

Smartphone <<< Link to both here

Up until last week i was convinced i would just get the more expensive 'Leo3 Smart' housing because it has the better specs... seems a no brainer right?
But then i find out that, after speaking with Easydive, it is almost double the weight both in and out of water compared to the cheaper DiveShot housing.

I kinda like that the Leo3 has physical magnetically operated buttons compared to the DiveShot's optical sensors, but then i figured that both have disadvantages and advantages.

I rarely will take a camera below 60m so would probably never outgrow the Diveshot, but the Leo3 just looks so much more 'sturdy'.

Im totally new to UW Photography so how important is it that a camera housing is light/neutral in water? Cant i just add some foam blocks on the light arms to help it float? Is this an acceptable practice? What are the pros and cons of doing this?

The reason i want a smart housing instead of a SLR housing is that i'd like to minimise the steps taken in between taking photos and then sharing them, also the photos I've seen taken on the latest iPhones seem incredible. Obviously I'm not going to win awards with mine but the housing will take all kinds of smartphones so it seems like an easily upgradable product as the years go on.

There's not many people out there using either of these products so I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has used or seen either of these housings and get your opinion on them.

thx :)

I picked up a kraken housing here on scubaboard. Have not tested in the water yet but I am happy with the build quality. Check it out.

I’ve been considering the kraken. Just still trying to get past the thought of taking my cell phone diving as my camera.

You could get an older cellphone off Craigslist to use.

If anyone is interested, I've got a Kraken housing that I'd be willing to let go for a reasonable price. It's got two dives on it. Works great. As compact as it it, I just decided it was still bigger than what I want to be carrying around underwater.

I’ve been considering the kraken. Just still trying to get past the thought of taking my cell phone diving as my camera.

I keep seeing this posted by many different people, and every time it perplexes me - what exactly is the big deal about taking a cell phone diving? It's expensive? Well, duh - so are most cameras above a basic compact like a Canon S120. My phone (Huawei P20 Pro) cost $575 new - I paid $837 for a Sony A6300 with a kit lens, another $557 for a 10-18mm ultrawide lens and $790 for a 90mm macro (all used); a housing flood would cost me $1200-1500, far more than any but the most outrageously expensive cellphone. The guys with the full-frame DSLRs are taking an even bigger risk.

I keep seeing this posted by many different people, and every time it perplexes me - what exactly is the big deal about taking a cell phone diving? It's expensive? Well, duh - so are most cameras above a basic compact like a Canon S120. My phone (Huawei P20 Pro) cost $575 new - I paid $837 for a Sony A6300 with a kit lens, another $557 for a 10-18mm ultrawide lens and $790 for a 90mm macro (all used); a housing flood would cost me $1200-1500, far more than any but the most outrageously expensive cellphone. The guys with the full-frame DSLRs are taking an even bigger risk.

It’s not about the cost. It’s just about the thought of flooding the phone, then the hastle of replacing. A camera isn’t a “life line” if you will. So I could wait to replace the camera until I got around to it. The phone would need an immediate replacement

I am curious about using the smartphone as a smaller lightweight UW camera. What about lighting? It seems that without lighting the usefulness would be rather limited to shallow bright daylight dives.

It’s not about the cost. It’s just about the thought of flooding the phone, then the hastle of replacing. A camera isn’t a “life line” if you will. So I could wait to replace the camera until I got around to it. The phone would need an immediate replacement

Meh, phones get replaced every few years anyway, and all the data should be backed up.

I am curious about using the smartphone as a smaller lightweight UW camera. What about lighting? It seems that without lighting the usefulness would be rather limited to shallow bright daylight dives.

Constant LED lights work fairly well at close range. Some also have a flash mode with fiber optic triggering - unlike a xenon strobe, an LED pulse should be long enough to work with a phone's electronic shutter, and it shouldn't scare away the fish the way constant bright lights do. The Weefine/Kraken housing has threaded holes in the bottom, so it can be mounted on a tray like other camera housings, and then you can attach arms and lights of your choice. Of course a smartphone housing with a pair of Gates GT14s or Scubalamp V12Ks would look rather comical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom