Underwater panic.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is a great subject because anyone can panic.

My wife and I are fairly new divers, and we practice OOA situations all the time. We recently purchased new BC's with alternate, air-2 style regs, so practicing with these became a priority. Well, once, while practicing, we had a situation where one thing led to another, which caused the situation progressively get worse. I fought the urge to shoot to the surface (almost did). Basically what happend was we had trouble with the gear, and I (following the "never hold your breath" principle) continued to exhale as we worked through the problem. Next thing you know I was out of air (in my lungs) and my brain did not figure out how to purge the freakin' reg. Yes, I started to freak out, as did my wife, and I am not a "freak out" type of person, let me tell you. So I will just say that it is easy to do with a lot of space between you and the surface. Especially with unfamiliar equipment.

sharkman
:guitar:

the sharkman once bubbled...
We recently purchased new BC's with alternate, air-2 style regs, so practicing with these became a priority.
I've looked at these as a methos of reducing the number of hoses. My LDS is not a fan of them. Can you explain to me, if you've got it figured out, how you vent air from your BC on an ascent, with the Air-2 in your mouth? It's a serious question, as my LDS doesn't have a good answer, in fact he asked the question.:confused:

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

I've looked at these as a methos of reducing the number of hoses. My LDS is not a fan of them. Can you explain to me, if you've got it figured out, how you vent air from your BC on an ascent, with the Air-2 in your mouth? It's a serious question, as my LDS doesn't have a good answer, in fact he asked the question.:confused:

Good question. I look forward to hearing an answer!:doctor:

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

I've looked at these as a method of reducing the number of hoses. My LDS is not a fan of them. Can you explain to me, if you've got it figured out, how you vent air from your BC on an ascent, with the Air-2 in your mouth? It's a serious question, as my LDS doesn't have a good answer, in fact he asked the question.:confused:

I can't answer for the Air II, since I have never used one, but I do have a SeaQuest AirSource, which is very similar. The AirSource has the standard pull dump cable that allows you to vent air by pulling down gently on the end of the inflator. The AirSource also has a second pull dump cable attached to the "trim grip" located roughly where the hose bends when you put the unit into your mouth. When breathing from the AirSource, you can operate the pull dump to vent air by tugging gently forward/down on the trim grip. This creates a small tugging on the regulator in your mouth, but certainly nothing that would make it unusable. (Unless you yank on the hose. Don't do that with any inflator. You don't want to break the dump valve and loose ALL bouyancy!) This takes a little practice, like any skill, but is not overly difficult to master.

There may be a similar feature on the Air II.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
As for the training ERP has, I can't vouch for a particular instructor. But in reflection ERP has remembered all the things he didn't take advantage of, including Uncle's immediately available stand-by assistance. This recount of what he could have done proves his training was there in some degree. But in his panicked state he simply didn't perform what he was trained to do.
ERP didn't just "remember all the things he didn't take advantage of." Those are the things we discussed at the surface before going back down for round two.

His recounting of the resources he failed to take advantage of is due not to his PADI training but our debriefing.

Actually he did revert to what he was trained to do.

ERP's PADI training taught him to fix the problem by doing a CESA.

We continued to work on how to fix things without a CESA.

but PADI nor NAUI NEVER, EVER reccomend a CESA unless you are in peril of drowning. It is taught just how dangerous it is and that it ends your diving for 24 hours. Buddy awareness and problem solving are at the heart of what they both offer in their curricula.

UP, While I understand your point. I have to say I must have missed out on the "when in trouble do a CESA" section of PADI's training. <sarcasm>

Fact is I paniced and reacted without thinking, and no training took over. My PADI instructor emphasized the necessity to solve prblems underwater.

There is a lot of PADI bashing on this board, much of it justifiable IMO, I just don't think it should be dragged into this thread.

About the only sort of training that could have helped me in a situaton like that is the type where high levels of stress are introduced in controlled situations, I doubt any rec agency does that sort of training.

ERP once bubbled...
There is a lot of PADI bashing on this board, much of it justifiable IMO, I just don't think it should be dragged into this thread.
Both you an NetDoc caught me... I admit it was blatant PADI bashing.

I'm sorry... sorta. :eek:ut:

As for stress class... SSI has one I believe. DIRf is what you want though. :D

ERP once bubbled...
About the only sort of training that could have helped me in a situaton like that is the type where high levels of stress are introduced in controlled situations, I doubt any rec agency does that sort of training.

Like I suggested at the beginning of this thread - try apnea training. Now don't go off on never holding your breath, we've been there and you know how I feel about that :eek: but apnea training can really help in any type of underwater problem because you will gain a great understanding of just how long you can go without air, in fact, you may be able to hold your breath comfortably on empty lungs for longer than you can hold your breath now with full lungs after a short time of training. You become comfortable with the increase in C02 levels and if you do end up out of air you will be more calm because it will be a position you would have put yourself in a lot during the apnea training. It is hard to explain the HUGE increase in comfort level under the water until you give apnea training or breath hold diving a serious look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom