Underwater MP3 Players

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every few months I start thinking about those snorkels with the FM radio built in. Whenever I exercise in the pool, I almost always wonder about how great it would be to listen to NPR news. Exercise is BORING.

I'm not sure on this one....there a couple songs I wouldn't mind listening too while gliding over a reef, especially ones with that Caribbean style, Jamaican feel to it...very cool. However, most of the music I listen to in the real world would create such a contrast to what my eyes were viewing, something would have to give...and I'm not closing my eyes. :)

However, I enjoy diving because it gets me away from the world I am accustomed to and you know what, I LIKE THAT. So I guess, its a no go for the music, I'm sure the younger crowd is all over this.

Sorry for this next point...but do you think a certain agency will create a specialty certification on this?

When I have a 45 minute Deco stop, anything would sound good :)

I'm not sure that the younger crowd is behind this idea. Maybe the desire to escape from all the packaged nonsense of commerical culture transcends the age barriers. After all, I don't think it was the under-21 crowd that invented the things.

I guess I'm just feeling a little protective about "my ocean". (Stole that term from Ray McAllister because I love it so much!) I just watched some video shot by a group of friends of a group trip to FL, where everybody's enjoying swimming with the wildlife so much that they keep grabbing the reef to stay put on the drifts, that they pet the morays, sharks and turtles, that they hand-walk the rails of the wrecks. And I don't know how to tactfully tell them that they're being disrespectful of the very thing that they love to visit.

For my part, as I get to be a more experienced diver, I have a stronger and stronger desire to be less tourist-y and more in-synch with the undersea environment. I hate to always preach about good diving practices, but sometimes, seeing some of the tourist behavior, I find my blood boiling. MP3 players seem to have tremendous potential for abuse...

GrierHPharmD:
rap music
The ultimate oxymoron!
Rick

My initial reaction is "worst idea ever."
On second thought, MP3's of "Books-on-tape" might not be such a bad idea for long deco stops.
Rick

Sort of a hijack, but oh well...

A couple of months ago I met a guy at the pool that had a small waterproof MP3 player (that Oceanic housing is HUGE!). It automatically corrected the audio for listening underwater. He said that it sounded like crap out of the water, but sounded ‘right’ while in the water. Now, for a project at work, I'm trying to find the device, and can't remember who he said it was made by. It wasn't the Oceanic, the Oregon Scientific MP-120, the Swimman, or the Finis SwiMP3. Anyone out there know of other models available? Oh, and yes, I’ve done a google search. Several in fact.

The company I work for has a need for broadcasting messages underwater. In the past we have modified the audio files to be more intelligible before loading them on the player, but it would be easier if I could find a player that has built-in equalization.

On a personal note, I'm not planning on diving with one, but I, too, could see using it if I had to do long hangs. I can also imagine tropical dive shops putting together underwater audio tours, and renting out the players. How about diving on a WWII wreck while listening to a historical account of the ship and the battle? Or recorded instructions for underwater classes?

I would check out the Finis SwiMP3. The bone-conduction headphones sound promising. I’ve read reviews on a brand with traditional headphones (maybe the Oceanic?) where the reviewer mentioned that the audio volume changed drastically at different depths (due to water pressure’s influence on sound velocity), so the diver was constantly fiddling with the volume. That shouldn’t be a problem with the bone-conduction headphones.

The Oregon Scientific might be a good choice for swimming laps. It looks like it has ear plugs that would keep your ear canals dry, so you wouldn’t have to worry about changing audio quality or volume.

As always, that’s just my opinion.

The VR3 has ebooks on it just for those long, intellectually-challenged decos. Doing a long deco hang with a Barry Manilow fan with his/her/its .MP3 cranked on full would cause me to later be incarcerated and executed at Starke for the crime of heinous subaquatic vivisection.
In Honolulu, one of the boats I worked on had a loud underwater broadcast system, so I got to do numerous Japanese intro dives listening to some really hideous country music. Thankfully it shorted out permanently after a couple of weeks.

My thoughts can be summed up, I believe in the words of Ghandi - "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"*

Might be cool for deco stops (I don't do deco diving at the moment so that's not an issue), It might be cool for swimming laps in the pool. But for when you're on a dive? Bleurgh.

No thanks.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

*These may not actually be the words of Ghandi...the above post may contain nuts.

Back
Top Bottom