Underwater MP3 Players

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just wanted to hear other folks' opinions about the new Oceanic H2O Audio MP3 Player. On the one hand, it's got an interesting GeeWhiz factor, on the other, I tend to rank in among things like car subwoofers and backseat DVD players as places where technology has created some truly antisocial monstrosities.

I just dread the day when my nice, relaxing reef dive is interrupted by some idiot's rap music blaring from his headset. I also wonder about the safety issue - do I really want to drown out the sound of that Jet Ski that's buzzing my dive flag...?

Maybe I'm overreacting. I'd like to hear your opinions.

-Grier :dazzler1:

it must be appealing for deco stops, i like the idea, and i don't think you're going to hear the other persons music, at least not where i dive, not much sound going to escape from a 7mm hood!!!

I'm with Mossym, if i was doing decompression stops it might be a nice idea, but I agree with you Grier- dont think you're overreacting. First impressions are kinda cool- but when i think of the downsides - I think music is best for dry land.

SF

I'm with you Grier!!!!!

MtnDiver:
Some duscussion about it in this other thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/t64002-.html

I must have missed the earlier thread. Sorry for the redundancy.

It's nice to see other divers with similar thoughts. I agree with the point about scaring off fish too much already. I was more focused on the safety issue to consider environmental impact. Hell, I spend most of my effort on the reef trying to be unobtrusive. That's hard enough without any added distractions...

Great feedback, let's keep it coming!

diving gets you away from all the top side stuff why would you want to take it with you. ssshhhh listen you hear that nothing it's wonderfull

just my 2

SeanQ:
Tell that to the Humpbacks. :wink:

I'll listen to the humpbacks any day, just not Lil Jon or Trick Daddy....

I can't even imagine why someone would go down with such a thing. I'm down there to "get away" from the "real world" topside and enjoy everything unique below the waterline... not bring topside with me.

But then I fail to see why people want to "dive" with DPV's (unless there is a "good" reason such as long swim to dive site, or work-related dive).

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom