Underwater Metal Detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just received my Clive Jame hand book "Pulse Power.." Very, very informative for me. I have a new Surf master Dual Field and the learning curve is proving to be a long one. This book will help - got it yesterday. I also received my short "Dive shaft" over the weekend, got to try it out yesterday. Much better way to go while using SCUBA gear! So far I have not located much more than junk, found some square nails yesterday, a pewter with gold plated Christian medallion, a junk kids earing (Daughter is going to make a necklace out of it). This was all found while in 10 feet or less using SCUBA. I have been diving swimming beeches for now until my methods improve. Today I will be trying some of the methods outlined in Clive's book. It's funny, now that I have this metal detector, the normal sight seeing SCUBA trips seem to be boring. The social part of SCUBA is the fun part during a Site Seeing Dive but while I am down there I wonder what I might find if I had my metal detector with me.

Is the one you have difficult to pack?

Do you know if using it in Mexico would be any problem?

I have just received my Clive Jame hand book "Pulse Power.." Very, very informative for me. I have a new Surf master Dual Field and the learning curve is proving to be a long one. This book will help - got it yesterday. I also received my short "Dive shaft" over the weekend, got to try it out yesterday. Much better way to go while using SCUBA gear! So far I have not located much more than junk, found some square nails yesterday, a pewter with gold plated Christian medallion, a junk kids earing (Daughter is going to make a necklace out of it). This was all found while in 10 feet or less using SCUBA. I have been diving swimming beeches for now until my methods improve. Today I will be trying some of the methods outlined in Clive's book. It's funny, now that I have this metal detector, the normal sight seeing SCUBA trips seem to be boring. The social part of SCUBA is the fun part during a Site Seeing Dive but while I am down there I wonder what I might find if I had my metal detector with me.

Beach and Water Treasure Hunting with Metal Detectors by Daniel Berg
THE BEACH BANK, YOUR TREASURE TELLER, by Reilly
Advanced Water Working Techniques by Andy Sabisch
Treasure Diving with Captain Dom
Water Hunting: Secrets of the Pros, by Clive James Clynick
How To Search Sand and Surf, Garrett
H2 OH! A Field Guide to Water Hunting by Mike Brighty

Is that enough or should I go look up more?

Which of these have you read? Could you recommend book one over another?

I have read the books by Sabich, Clynick and Garrett. All are great books. A lot of the info between them is the same though, so pick one and have fun!

I have read the books by Sabich, Clynick and Garrett. All are great books. A lot of the info between them is the same though, so pick one and have fun!

Water Hunting: Secrets of the Pros, by Clive James Clynick is on the way to me. :)

Well as far as packing the Dual Field goes - I brake mine down and it goes into my dive back with fins, mask, computer, and other small items. This is with the dive shaft only. I have not tried the full size shaft but it does break down into three sections as the dive shaft is in two. I do not wrap the cord around the shaft as discribed in the instructions, too many people tell me not to do this in fear of damaging the co-ax cable and I switch from the long to the short shaft often. Mexico? could not tell you any thing there.

I think a multi frequency detector is best choice for anyone starting out. Pulse detectors do hit deeper targets but the ease of use of a multi frequency mach make it a better choice for beach, sand and land hunters. Only exception is treasure wrecks or old beaches where targets are deep.

Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• MetalDetectingbookcoverShadowsmall.jpg
    MetalDetectingbookcoverShadowsmall.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 300
This may be a little off the topic , but I am looking for recommendations on the type and size of ultrasonic cleaner used for cleaning finds I have one with 3 min timer but I get tired of constantly turning it on it takes several days to clean some badly corroded finds

Just picked up a seccondahand Aquascan AQ1B, came with a 20 cm and 38 cm search head ,will have to do a little work to clean up the search rods but on the first dive I pulled out saveral coins ,and a 2 kg block of lead , so far so good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom