Underwater Metal Detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yep most detectors use a water proof headphone or bone phone but some use vibration like the Vibra Tector underwater you can even hear the motor vibrating

I have a Vibra-Tector 730. Bought it just for fun since my buddy purchased a much more expensive one with the head set. First his housing or seal leaked and render it useless. Mine worked great. His is repaired but he has yet to take it underwater :) My battery was to weak 2 weekend ago and it kept shutting down - replaced it and it good to go last weekend, just didn't find anything :)

Note the later dept rating on these 100'/30 meters now :)

Last edited:
Well some time has past, and I still have faith in the Fisher Pulse 8 X. I still use only the meter. No audio of any kind. This makes you concentrate better, in my opinion. I ahve other reasons, but when I'm on the bottom this works best for me. I have recovered many coins and artifacts where others have tried before me. I like to think this is the result of 40 years of pratical application, and working with the best people in the business. Fizz

I dive & now I want to take a metal detector with me. I want to purchased a new Whites, Surfmaster dual Field detector but I am wonder how well it will work with a wetsuit hood on? It is a PI unit with a threshold setting but the way I understand it, this has to be set real low and then listen for the tone to drop out. Has any one use this detector or one like this with a hood and is my concern real? Thanks all - NEWB question to metal detectors.

:D Okay - I did it, today I orderd a Surfmaster dual field PI unit! It will arive next week and then off I go to the "Surf" I intend to use it while diving but will start in the surf zone to get used to it (my first M.D.). Now.. Does any one have any good recomendations I can apply to my Detecting to help reduce my learning curve?

Get some good books on UW and surf hunting. They will give you a lot of info that will reduce your trial and error time. If you're not used to using a detector, I would recommend starting on the beach until you get a feel for how it operates.

Not to chime in too late but, I have had several underwater detectors, sand shark, excal. , ect bu,t the best I that worked for me was the seahunter mark 2. Loved it.
Just my 2cents, thanks, joe

Not to chime in too late but, I have had several underwater detectors, sand shark, excal. , ect bu,t the best I that worked for me was the seahunter mark 2. Loved it.
Just my 2cents, thanks, joe

So why are you using the excal as your avatar?

Get some good books on UW and surf hunting. They will give you a lot of info that will reduce your trial and error time.

Can you recommend some titles?

Beach and Water Treasure Hunting with Metal Detectors by Daniel Berg
THE BEACH BANK, YOUR TREASURE TELLER, by Reilly
Advanced Water Working Techniques by Andy Sabisch
Treasure Diving with Captain Dom
Water Hunting: Secrets of the Pros, by Clive James Clynick
How To Search Sand and Surf, Garrett
H2 OH! A Field Guide to Water Hunting by Mike Brighty

Is that enough or should I go look up more?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom