Underwater Metal Detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EXCAL II is my goto detector while diving. Use it in the surf and beach to get a feel for how to operate if you have experience. There are a few videos on youtube that cover some beach use to show you the tones. You can hunt all metal or with discrimination. There are tricks to both. Learning the cone and the repeatability of the tone is key. Any books by Clive are good reads.

Excal II is what I use and love it!

Is this the one your talking about, if so can you tell use more about it. I'm considering getting one

excalibur.jpg

That is the Excalibur II and a damn fine detector. I have the Excalibur I and I love it. I would also second the mention of reading any of the books by Clive. He is very good and the books are easy reading. The only thing I did to my Excalibur was change out the shaft to an Anderson shaft.

do you guys think there is a lot of improvement between the ecal II and I? they are offering me a Excal I 800, and I dont know if it better to save some money and get the new one.

ive been hearing not so good things about excalliber on several sites
im researching to buy one and because of the comments on this thread i looked into minelabs excalliber
several people are complaing they stopped working after a few dives and minelabs has warantee issues seems they really dont want to honor them but when pushed make u wait a month or so before u get it back
im gonna keep looking so far fisher is expensive but pretty good

i would be interested in more reviews on these models

garrett sea hunter 2
good revieiws bad picks up nails also

minelabs excalliber 800 or 1000
bad

minelabs excalliber II
bad reviews

Fisher CZ-21 Quick Silver 1125.00
good rating

Garrett GTI 2500. 1099.00. good rating

these are what i have found so far
best to talk to people who own and operate them regularly for best reviews

Make sure you are reading CURRENT reviews of minelabs service. They have over-hauled thier entire service center and people have been reporting very good thing about thier recent experiences.

As for the excals, of people who hunt every day, they would rather buy 2 of them to keep hunting while one is in for repairs. They are considered to be that far above the others.

Garrett GTI is a horrible choice for an ocean beach hunt.

If you need two while one is being repaired, they cant be that good. Know what I mean. Its like buying two cars in case one breaks down and both are brand new? The cost is way too high, better durability is a must.
Im sure there are others out there that are just as good for diving salt and fresh water, beach and up to 200ft that are a lot more reliable.
How bout some reviews on other products to see what else is good. I think its best to hear from people who use them regularly. pros and cons.
I think I will start a thread for this

You are on the wrong forum for that discussion. There are probably only a few here who use them. Ask your question on treasurenet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom