Underwater Metal Detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL its fantastic on cans,pull tabs and general stuff like that it wont miss a single piece.

it is indeed a PI unit so it has no discrimination except experience, which has taught me that the better the signal the less valuable the find, some of the discriminating machines Miss small targets whereas the PI hit everything .the Vibra-Tector is good to about 4 to 6 inches the deepest thing I dug out was block lead at about 6 inches.
the coin above was about 2 inches down and is about the size of your little finger nail.
only 2 things I would change on the Vibra-Tector ,maybe a slightly longer arm to increase the sweep and a negative buoyancy head so it doesn't turn on on the assent when its clipped off to my gear.

I notice there is a lot of interest in underwater metal detecting. I've been detecting since about 1979. I've used most of the different types of detectors, as they came on the market, over the years. The pulse units ar great when it comes to detection depth, but the amount of small pieces
of iron (nails,screws,pieces of crab pot wire,bottle caps..etc.) that you will spend your time digging is not worth it. You need a detector that has discrimination. It allows you to cancell out small pieces of iron and still pick up the good stuff. I personally use the minelab Excalibur. it is one of the best detectors ever made. It will easily pick up a small gold ring 8" deep and larger ones deeper. At the same time its cancelling out small pieces of iron. You can use it on land or in the water. Your best bet is not to buy a cheap detector. Save your money and buy a detector
thats worth putting your time into. A good underwater detector pays for itself,faster than you think. If you have the drive to go out and use it, its an investment. Its a great hobby that pays for itself and more.
I hope this information was helpful to those of you considering getting into this hobby.

Here is a link to the rings I found last year. David's Rings

This is one ring I found on March 30th 2009. ---------appraised for $12,000 by a Gemologist
Center stone is a 1.04 ct. diamond
The side stones total another carat.

Attachments

• BIG DIAMON RING crop.jpg
    BIG DIAMON RING crop.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 303
I notice there is a lot of interest in underwater metal detecting. I've been detecting since about 1979. I've used most of the different types of detectors, as they came on the market, over the years. The pulse units ar great when it comes to detection depth, but the amount of small pieces
of iron (nails,screws,pieces of crab pot wire,bottle caps..etc.) that you will spend your time digging is not worth it. You need a detector that has discrimination. It allows you to cancell out small pieces of iron and still pick up the good stuff. I personally use the minelab Excalibur. it is one of the best detectors ever made. It will easily pick up a small gold ring 8" deep and larger ones deeper. At the same time its cancelling out small pieces of iron. You can use it on land or in the water. Your best bet is not to buy a cheap detector. Save your money and buy a detector
thats worth putting your time into. A good underwater detector pays for itself,faster than you think. If you have the drive to go out and use it, its an investment. Its a great hobby that pays for itself and more.
I hope this information was helpful to those of you considering getting into this hobby.

Here is a link to the rings I found last year. David's Rings

This is one ring I found on March 30th 2009. ---------appraised for $12,000 by a Gemologist
Center stone is a 1.04 ct. diamond
The side stones total another carat.

Wow nice find!!
If you are going to be getiing into MD'ing...do your reasearch...know if you are going to be hunting primarly salt water or fresh water...IMHO
with the reasearch I have done...the TigerShark is about one of the best freshwater machines and the Excaliber is the best salt machines!!
Good luck!!

Last edited:
I found metal detector for a long time, and prepare to buy a underground detector. But my curiosity stirred if there is a metal detector underwater, how deep can it use and what the effective distance?

------------------------------------------------
replacementbatteries.blogspot.com/2010/01/begin-treasure-hunt-with-metal-detector.html

There are several underwater detectors out there....The tigershark,sandshark,Excaliber...the list goes on..its all about what you want to sepnd....most UW detectors are good to about 200ft from what I have found.....

45 posts and I finally see a post of something that some one found with a metal detector. I think I will save my money and just use my naked eyes.

45 posts and I finally see a post of something that some one found with a metal detector. I think I will save my money and just use my naked eyes.

that will be because this tread is about the detectors although it still hasn't turned up one person that has used the Ebinger uwex 722T that I originally asked about .

I've found lots of stuff with my metal detector, nails, bullets, shot, cigarette pack foil, pop tops, botttle caps, jar lids, safety pins, ...................

I have a fisher 1280x my first under water unit.I've found some nice finds but it seems to be hard to handle under water.most my hunting is in fresh water but use it in FLA for 2weeks a year.i have a line on jw8x for $1200 used from a dive shop.It has a hook up to change the coils. where i hunt primarly is murky as soon as you touch bottom viz goes to zero.wondering if a vibra probe with my old fisher would help?Or spring for the used J.W. or get a new x- cal?

Ok I am lost. Are you guys wearing the headphones underwater? If so can you hear the beeping through your hood. Sorry if this is a total noob question, but I have never used a metal detector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom