Underwater Metal Detectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G

GetWet

Hi Gang,
I've been considering aquiring a metal detector for recreational purposes - a little something to do below - since I'm not a photographer or tooth collector.
The problem is that I have absolutely no experience at metal detecting - above or below. Is there anyone experienced at this hobby who could tell me what type of gear would be a good investment, especially the underwater type?
Just something new for me to try.
----------------------
GetWet

Watch out, detecting will bite you! I started out making a "How to Metal Detect" video and got hooked. Once you start detecting you'll find you will need a few detectors. For water use, the best I would recommend to a beginner is the Fisher M-Scope CZ-20. It is easy to use and has a discrimination mode (helps weed out junk). It also finds the good stuff. They also have a 1280X specifically designed for underwater use. For land I would recommend either the CZ-6 made by Fisher or the Eagle SL by Whites.

I Don't remember Whites address but here is Fisher Research Laboratory, 1005 I St., Los Banos, Ca. 93635, (209) 826-3292.

Oh, by the way, I have found many gold, silver, diamond rings, watches, and of course lots of money over the past years!

Deep Sea is right, the Fisher 1280X is total underwater built. It works great and the company has a good rep.

GOOD DIVING GOOD HUNTING

To Deep Sea and Darkwing:
Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll look into Fisher and see what they offer. If I get hooked then so much the better. Sometimes one needs a little change of pace to refresh the enthusiasm. I can't always afford to be traveling to the good dive sites so I need a reason to stay at home and get wet. Maybe this will do it.
Thanks again.
---------------
GetWet

Be sure not to confuse the Fisher detectors mentioned above with J.W. Fisher metal detectors, two different companies. I had one of the latter, a pulse detector that did NOT have a discrimination mode, and I got totally frustrated with it. It would pick up the tiniest, eensee-weensy bits of crap buried way down, worthless bits of scrap wire, beer cans, anything. I eventually sold it for much less than I paid and took up photo instead. Just remember, FISHER, but NOT J.W. Fisher.

Thanks for the info Greg G.

These are the little comments that make a big difference sometimes. I would have never known to look for that being new to this. Thanks again.
--------------
GetWet

Back
Top Bottom