Underwater metal detecting dead in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I know in South Carolina you MUST obtain a Hobby Divers License to legally dive, or pick up anything of value below the water line of any body of water that is influenced by the tide. For example, if I went into a canal or creek that rises and falls with the tide for the sole purpose of looking for fossils, have to get a Hobby Divers License whether I am diving or not.

The license is not that much, I think less then $20 for two years. In my eyes that is a small price to pay to be able to dive for sharks teeth. Granted, I would rather not have to pay anything but at least it is not like $100.

Not $100.00 - yet! Give it a couple more years. "Government IS the problem"....as dearly departed Ronald Regan once said plainly.

In Florida BUy the $5.00 Permit to collect fossils. Go where ever you want free from all the FWC BS, let them search the boat, the cavities of your bowels and then go dive again! No one said you have to collect what you find. Remember where you seen it at, "DO NOT WRITE IT DOWN" violates FS 267 as documentation. When Judy Bense retires we might get a chance at the IFP (Isolated Finds Program) again. When that 9 inch Paleo is staring you in the face remember, you are looking for fossils..... PS for all of the Divers and FWC/Archs on board.. I dove 100+ dives inthe FL rivers last year.... I saw ZERO whole artifacts, tons of broken pottery, a few tips or bases, but if you take into question the ratio of dive per discovery, its not worth the trouble to touch a worthless piece of pottery to get fined or misdermeanors.... FWC is wasting a lot of time and money. But its the law, Right to harrass is on the table.

I did find a nice Tapir tooth though last weekend!

BO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom